Its a process of elimination - Roster decisions

wildcard

Of the outfielders in question, isn't Lough the only one that can replace Jones in center field? Snider is the likely choice. He's lefthnaded, his contract isn't overwhelming, he could garner some low level quality, and the O's have replacements for him. Parades is likely to be dfa'd whenSchoop returns.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parades has been a nice story, but he doesn't really have a track record as a hitter in the majors or minors and he can't play in the field. Going to be tough but I think he has to go. Just can't see letting Pearce go with his defensive versatility, plus he plays 1B and we will need one next year. Same reason that they want to hang onto Parmelee.

Whether Lough hangs might depend on how many days of rest they think Adam will need. He has the occasional good swing, but then looks horrible striking out. Last night he was probably the only guy that looked bad / overmatched by the cast of misfits the Phillies were pitching.

I think I'd cut Parades and Lough, but I'm glad it isn't my call and I will have no criticism of whatever they do.

Heck getting rid of De Aza was a tough call and he is playing well for the Red Sox. Though he could have been pretty good, but he blew it with all the mental mistakes

Schoop goes to Bowie on Friday. Instead of putting him on rehab they should option him. He would have to stay in the minors for 10 days but his rehab may be that long anyway.

From Roch:

"Brady (Anderson) said that when Jon goes out, he may not play every day. He may play a day or two and then sit, play a day and two and then sit," Showalter said.

If they are going to take some time with his recovery in the minors to make sure he can build himself up to play everyday, then optioning him would help with his service time. If he is in the minors for 2 weeks the O's can control him for an additional year.

This also buys 10 days to 2 week for the roster to shake out. Time for an injury to occur.

Gausman looks like he will be activated on Saturday. They have to make room for him. Either an injury occurs or I think Snider is the most likely to go.

Schoop goes to Bowie on Friday. Instead of putting him on rehab they should option him. He would have to stay in the minors for 10 days but his rehab may be that long anyway.

From Roch:

If they are going to take some time with his recovery in the minors to make sure he can build himself up to play everyday, then optioning him would help with his service time. If he is in the minors for 2 weeks the O's can control him for an addition year.

This also buys 10 days to 2 week for the roster to shake out. Time for an injury to occur.

Gausman looks like he will be activated on Saturday. They have to make room for him. Either an injury occurs or I think Snider in the most likely to go.

Won't they just send down Wright after Friday to make room for Gausman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Orioles see Paredes and Parmelee as nuggets for the future. They also offer current productivity. Paredes hit the ball well last night and seems to be out of his cold spell. The move for the present and future is to keep Parmelee, Paredes, and Lough. Reimold and Snider have one year of service time after this year. Pearce and Young are FA's. If you weight present and future, Young and Snider come out on the bottom, IMO.

As cheap as the O's are, neither is owed much money. Probably about 2.5-3M combined.

I don't think being FA works against Pearce or Young. Both are cheap. Both like playing for the O's. Neither will they command big salaries as FA. They could go FA and easily be resigned if the O's want them.

Won't they just send down Wright after Friday to make room for Gausman?

I don't know but they are not going with 11 pitchers for very long. Especially with the Blue Jays likely to tax the bullpen this weekend.

Parades has been a nice story, but he doesn't really have a track record as a hitter in the majors or minors and he can't play in the field. Going to be tough but I think he has to go. Just can't see letting Pearce go with his defensive versatility, plus he plays 1B and we will need one next year. Same reason that they want to hang onto Parmelee.

Whether Lough hangs might depend on how many days of rest they think Adam will need. He has the occasional good swing, but then looks horrible striking out. Last night he was probably the only guy that looked bad / overmatched by the cast of misfits the Phillies were pitching.

I think I'd cut Parades and Lough, but I'm glad it isn't my call and I will have no criticism of whatever they do.

Heck getting rid of De Aza was a tough call and he is playing well for the Red Sox. Though he could have been pretty good, but he blew it with all the mental mistakes

Under what logic is De Aza playing well for Boston? He was terrible here and has continued the same trend in Boston.

And Pearce is a free agent to be with very little track record in the majors as well.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I don't know but they are not going with 11 pitchers for very long. Especially with the Blue Jays likely to tax the bullpen this weekend.

But they'll have a 7 man pen for the series and Wright won't be able to contribute and they'll have Gonzalez and Chen ready to return when Wright's next turn comes up.

The bullpen is still 7 strong. Sending Chen down leaves the rotation short, but there is an off day next week and Chen will be back that weekend. Replace Walker with Gausman and there is no need to make another move until Chen comes back to pitch against the Indians on the 26th.

Most teams keep 5 outfielders and a DH. Adam Jones is a no-question to keep. That leaves us to keep 5 from the following list. I'm working from what we see today 6/17/15 and I amd looking for HR power (that is how our team is built) and multiple roles. What is the order of saying goodbye?

Lough........ our strong defense outfielder, CF backup, pinch runner and late inning defensive replacement. We need the extra factors he gives.

KEEP

Parmelee........ backup 1st base, okay in outfield, good hitting

KEEP

Reimhold...... hitting power, some limitations in outfield

KEEP

Paredes....... DH but may be shippable due to inability to play field. Role can be taken by others if BA slips

KEEP for now.... toss up between him and Pierce.

:(

S.Pierce..... is hitting better than earlier in season, but Flaherty and Paremelee can handle infield backup roles. With Scope coming back, Flaherty becomes the utility guy.

EXPENDABLE may have trade value

Snider...... okay in the field, fair average, lacks power- 1 HR (Camden Yards favors HR hitters), some salary concern, is movable in a trade.

TRADE or DFA

D.Young........ average is not great, defensively lacks range, power is down

TRADE or DFA

I dont like the idea of trading/DHA players that have value; however, there are only 25 roster spots and giving up something of value does mean that we could get minor leaguers with upside for the future.

The bullpen is still 7 strong. Sending Chen down leaves the rotation short, but there is an off day next week and Chen will be back that weekend. Replace Walker with Gausman and there is no need to make another move until Chen comes back to pitch against the Indians on the 26th.

They may not make that decision until they see how Wright pitches on Friday. If he pitches well and Gausman doesn't, they may want Wright to start in the next turn.

Archived