Its a process of elimination - Roster decisions

wildcard

No I mean between Young, Snider, Pearce, Reimold. Pearce, Parmelee or Paredes. Each has plusses and minuses and none are head and shoulders above the others. We could lose any one of them and not miss a step.

Yes but I think of the bunch you mentioned there above, Pearce may have the most utility in how you can use him. Snider, Reimold, Parmelee and Young seem to be redundant upon redundant. None of those 4 have proven much of anything though I think Snider has had the most opportunity and proven the least hands down. Honestly its not like Young has shown all that much for a guy who is supposed to let his bat speak for him.

At the end of the day I agree, I think you can move any of that bunch without skipping a beat. So at that point perhaps its about which of that bunch strikes another teams fancy ?

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, Buck is not going to play 1 game without a backup CF, and let alone 2 months.

Hold on. He could play a game or 2 with Reimold or whoever in CF. if Jones goes on the DL you can always add a player. How many innings has Lough played in CF to this point?

If I can't trade anyone, then I'd drop Snider and Young.

Yup that is were I lean.

To me these two have had the most opportunity with the least production.

Pearce has been disappointing but showed more last year than any of these guys have in recent years and frankly he is the most versatile of the bunch and provides some options to Buck and DD in how they use their roster. I think DD values that and as such I would be surprised to see Pearce gone

Hold on. He could play a game or 2 with Reimold or whoever in CF. if Jones goes on the DL you can always add a player. How many innings has Lough played in CF to this point?

Can Reimold play CF? i thought he was strictly a COF.

Yes, I know, Jones goes to the DL, Bourbon comes up.

Buck expects his backup OF to able to play CF. Just like his utility infielder on the bench to play SS.

Sorry but the idea of Reimold in CF is laughable....it just is.

Not sure when people will learn but the skillset that Lough brings to the table is valuable simply because the organization really has nobody else that can or has shown they can do that job at an MLB level.

We can talk about Alvarez all we want but he is yet to prove himself at AAA to this point and if the Orioles feel he is a guy who can continue to develop then bringing him up to ride the pine is the not the right move.

Some people will hate it but I doubt that Lough goes anywhere anytime soon. Me I think that is the right call

Sorry but the idea of Reimold in CF is laughable....it just is.

Not sure when people will learn but the skillset that Lough brings to the table is valuable simply because the organization really has nobody else that can or has shown they can do that job at an MLB level.

We can talk about Alvarez all we want but he is yet to prove himself at AAA to this point and if the Orioles feel he is a guy who can continue to develop then bringing him up to ride the pine is the not the right move.

Some people will hate it but I doubt that Lough goes anywhere anytime soon. Me I think that is the right call

I am talking about a game or two. Markakis and Wieters have played 1B. We are talking about July and August. The rosters expand in September. Lough has started 4 games in CF.

Just checked. Lough has played 39 innings in CF and we have played 64 games.

It does not matter if he has played one inning lol

You have a banged up CF and you want to cut/trade the one guy who can competently field the position if that banged up guy needs time off here and there? Reimold, Young, Pearce and Snider .....none of them could CF if their lives depended on it

The way I see it, there are 7 guys [Reimold, Parmelee, Pearce, Lough, Paredes, Young and Snider] competing for 5 slots [2 corner outfield, 1 DH, two bench].

I don't think any of these guys is 100 percent safe. Reimold and Parmelee have been given an opportunity to show what they can do, but their performance is going to dictate whether they stay. So far so good.

Barring a trade, I think Lough is probably the safest of the 7, just because I can't imagine having an active roster without a backup center fielder, and Lough is the only option. Having said that, he is by far the guy that I least want to see coming to the plate in a close game.

At this point, I think Snider and Paredes are the most likely to go. They don't have the track record of success of Young. They don't offer the defensive versatility of Pearce. They have not hit well lately unlike Reimold and Parmelee. Paredes has the advantage of cost control for more years and has hit better overall this season, so he has an edge over Snider. But two of them have to go.

I think Buck knows what he has with Lough, Young and Pearce. I expect that the other four will get the bulk of the playing time at COF and DH in the next two weeks.

It does not matter if he has played one inning lol

You have a banged up CF and you want to cut/trade the one guy who can competently field the position if that banged up guy needs time off here and there? Reimold, Young, Pearce and Snider .....none of them could CF if their lives depended on it

We have Borbon, you do realize that.

I am talking about a game or two. Markakis and Wieters have played 1B. We are talking about July and August. The rosters expand in September. Lough has started 4 games in CF.

If AJ were to twist his ankle tomorrow and be on the DL for say 3 weeks, the only guy the organization has at this point who could step and play the position defensively and perhaps do something offensively is Lough.

Alvarez has shown no signs other than a recent hot streak that he is ready. Throwing Alvarez into the middle of pennant race as a starting CF is not smart. Lough has more value than you think. Beyond his ability to back up CF, he has been valuable on the corners coming in for the guys who can't manage to field those spots fantastic but your suggesting could handle CF for a day or two?

Yes but I think of the bunch you mentioned there above, Pearce may have the most utility in how you can use him. Snider, Reimold, Parmelee and Young seem to be redundant upon redundant. None of those 4 have proven much of anything though I think Snider has had the most opportunity and proven the least hands down. Honestly its not like Young has shown all that much for a guy who is supposed to let his bat speak for him.

At the end of the day I agree, I think you can move any of that bunch without skipping a beat. So at that point perhaps its about which of that bunch strikes another teams fancy ?

What I have been saying. If you think Pearce has the most utility maybe someone else does too. I'd rather get something for any two of them than let them go for nothing.

You realize that Buck is the manager and His philopshy of managing the bench is:

#1 - Backup INF on bench HAS to be able to play SS.

#2 - Backup OF on bench HAS to be able to play backup CF.

He has said this so many times over the years.

Buck would no sooner get rid of his backup catcher, then, he would have no backup CF on the bench and rely on a CoF to play CF.

Ummmm yea... and Borbon has done exactly what?

This is not a video game. If you dump Lough your bringing up Borbon or Alvarez or someone who can CF if AJ gets hurt.

No matter how much sense it may make to you, Buck or any other competent manager is not going to dump a Lough and leave his defense a train wreck so he can an extra one of this group (Snider, Young, Parmeleee, Reimold or Pearce). There is a reason guys like Lough has decent and longer than expected careers....they have value.

If AJ were to twist his ankle tomorrow and be on the DL for say 3 weeks, the only guy the organization has at this point who could step and play the position defensively and perhaps do something offensively is Lough.

Alvarez has shown no signs other than a recent hot streak that he is ready. Throwing Alvarez into the middle of pennant race as a starting CF is not smart. Lough has more value than you think. Beyond his ability to back up CF, he has been valuable on the corners coming in for the guys who can't manage to field those spots fantastic but your suggesting could handle CF for a day or two?

Bourbon. Lough is here if Jones is hurt but doesn't go on the DL.

Archived