Its a process of elimination - Roster decisions

wildcard

What I have been saying. If you think Pearce has the most utility maybe someone else does too. I'd rather get something for any two of them than let them go for nothing.

Yea I agree there. Just think that his value is destroyed by his salary in terms of a trade.

We are stuck with that price tag regardless so its a non factor. If all the guys made the same money then ya I think Pearce might be the best candidate to move. However with his salary and down production, he may have more value in terms of his utility to us than to another team.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bourbon. Lough is here if Jones is hurt but doesn't go on the DL.

You missed the previous posts....the person I responded to suggested we tade/cut Lough and roll without a backup CF and use Reimold or something until we could bring up Alvarez or Borbon is what I can gather he was suggesting

If AJ were to twist his ankle tomorrow and be on the DL for say 3 weeks, the only guy the organization has at this point who could step and play the position defensively and perhaps do something offensively is Lough.

Alvarez has shown no signs other than a recent hot streak that he is ready. Throwing Alvarez into the middle of pennant race as a starting CF is not smart. Lough has more value than you think. Beyond his ability to back up CF, he has been valuable on the corners coming in for the guys who can't manage to field those spots fantastic but your suggesting could handle CF for a day or two?

We have too many flawed players. It is a heck of a lot easier to find a glove man then a bat. Borbon could be added to the roster if a DL happens. Lough isn't going anywhere for awhile. I think the first move will be between Parmelee and Snider. When Schoop is back that is when things will get tricky. I could see them try a 6 man pen here and there as well.

I get Lough's value, we all do. You think it would be hard to find a glove like his? I am talking about a game or two.

Lough might not be going anywhere but I don't think he is a lock like you do.

Ummmm yea... and Borbon has done exactly what?

This is not a video game. If you dump Lough your bringing up Borbon or Alvarez or someone who can CF if AJ gets hurt.

No matter how much sense it may make to you, Buck or any other competent manager is not going to dump a Lough and leave his defense a train wreck so he can an extra one of this group (Snider, Young, Parmeleee, Reimold or Pearce). There is a reason guys like Lough has decent and longer than expected careers....they have value.

Pretty much the same as Lough except he has a better SB record. Vey good defensive CF.

You missed the previous posts....the person I responded to suggested we tade/cut Lough and roll without a backup CF and use Reimold or something until we could bring up Alvarez or Borbon is what I can gather he was suggesting

Buck might surprise us by putting Pearce at 2nd. 2nd is not SS or CF.

But Reimold has never played CF and he isn't a CF.

You realize that Buck is the manager and His philopshy of managing the bench is:

#1 - Backup INF on bench HAS to be able to play SS.

#2 - Backup OF on bench HAS to be able to play backup CF.

He has said this so many times over the years.

Buck would no sooner get rid of his backup catcher, then, he would have no backup CF on the bench and rely on a CoF to play CF.

Never thought Buck would DH the backup catcher, but he has.

We have too many flawed players. It is a heck of a lot easier to find a glove man then a bat. Borbon could be added to the roster if a DL happens. Lough isn't going anywhere for awhile. I think the first move will be between Parmelee and Snider. When Schoop is back that is when things will get tricky. I could see them try a 6 man pen here and there as well.

I get Lough's value, we all do. You think it would be hard to find a glove like his? I am talking about a game or two.

Lough might not be going anywhere but I don't think he is a lock like you do.

If Borbon is added, it will be in September. He's not that good.

Ummmm yea... and Borbon has done exactly what?

This is not a video game. If you dump Lough your bringing up Borbon or Alvarez or someone who can CF if AJ gets hurt.

No matter how much sense it may make to you, Buck or any other competent manager is not going to dump a Lough and leave his defense a train wreck so he can an extra one of this group (Snider, Young, Parmeleee, Reimold or Pearce). There is a reason guys like Lough has decent and longer than expected careers....they have value.

It is a move for 50 games. Lough can't run the bases, doesn't hit cut off man etc. I understand the value of Lough. We are screwed if Jones gets hurt either way. Lough is a backup defender. If they liked his bat he would play more.

Yea I agree there. Just think that his value is destroyed by his salary in terms of a trade.

We are stuck with that price tag regardless so its a non factor. If all the guys made the same money then ya I think Pearce might be the best candidate to move. However with his salary and down production, he may have more value in terms of his utility to us than to another team.

I don't think you understand me. I'm not saying any one of them is the best player to move. Pearce's salary might not make a difference to some teams, depending on their needs.

Our current utility IF is Steve Pearce. Buck is flexible.

Buck is not flexible in that matter.

If Hardy went down. Flaherty would move to SS and Pearce would play 2nd, not SS.

In a real emergency, Manny could move to SS and Davis to 3rd and a number of people could play 1st.

Our current utility IF is Steve Pearce. Buck is flexible.

I get his point. 99 times out of 100 you want someone who can play CF. My point is I don't think he is a lock that's all. How many teams call up speedsters in September? Every team does. When you have a roster like this you have to make hard decisions.

If Borbon is added, it will be in September. He's not that good.

Ultimately Buck is not going to have this team without a backup CF/Defensive OF with this bunch of OF regardless of who you keep.

Given that Lough is good bit better option IMO than Borbon. I think Lough is pretty safe

I don't think you understand me. I'm not saying any one of them is the best player to move. Pearce's salary might not make a difference to some teams, depending on their needs.

If they can get something for Pearce that would make it worth moving him, I am ok with that.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out ,

Archived