Our pending free agents

primetime

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You and I both know the chances of his price tag, falling in the range of Oriole payroll budget is not going to happen.
Though as Frobby is stating, the market will determine Chen's value. Not Boras.

I think it is unlikely we will re-sign Chen, but that isn't the question I was asked. I was asked whether I would include re-signing Chen in my definition of "investing in a starting pitcher." And yes, I would.

Honestly, I think this offseason will be the most interesting one in years for the Orioles. Not necessarily the most satisfying, but the most interesting. There are a million directions the front office could go. I don't think they can simply allow all the free agents to leave and hope to fill in solely with the 2015 equivalents of Travis Snider, Wesley Wright et al. They will have to make a few spots priorities and go after some good, established players (our own guys, or someone else's) pretty aggressively, and then fill in a few remaining spots in the way we usually do.

I think it is unlikely we will re-sign Chen, but that isn't the question I was asked. I was asked whether I would include re-signing Chen in my definition of "investing in a starting pitcher." And yes, I would.

Honestly, I think this offseason will be the most interesting one in years for the Orioles. Not necessarily the most satisfying, but the most interesting. There are a million directions the front office could go. I don't think they can simply allow all the free agents to leave and hope to fill in solely with the 2015 equivalents of Travis Snider, Wesley Wright et al. They will have to make a few spots priorities and go after some good, established players (our own guys, or someone else's) pretty aggressively, and then fill in a few remaining spots in the way we usually do.

Your right, two separate issues here and I agree, I would resign him and I don't think the Orioles will be able to.

One year in Band camp, we got an Albert Belle.

I am wondering if Tilmans poor year may affect what we will do long term We were talking long ter deal but with this season it may change. Could we offer Chen Tilman's contract instead and let Chris walk. Chen will probally need a bit more as he is on the open market but with Tilman's struggles it should open up some extra money as at the least he will not get a big increasein arbitration like I had expected.

It's not a good idea to see all relievers, including O'Day as replaceable machine parts. O'Day is someone special and we need to at least try to retain him.

Thanks, I agree, if DD takes a cookie cutter approach, we're in trouble.

I don't expect the O's to pay for a FA pitcher. Not Chen or anyone else. They have Jimenez, Gonzalez, Tillman and Gausman. They have several #5 candidates in Wilson, Davies and Mike Wright. That about covers the starters IMO.

I can see them going 3/21m for O'Day. He might not even go to FA. He could be like Hardy and sign before that. Maybe as early as as the All-Star break or as late as after the O's win the WS.

I think the O's will offer Wieters as a FA McCann money. 5/85. They may go a little high for an option year/Buyout. If that doesn't do it then they will move on.

Other than that I doubt the O's sign any free agents.

Chen is solid but unspectacular. I just don't see him being worth to the the Orioles what he will get offered on the open market. Same with Matt Weiters. I've enjoyed rooting for both those guys, they have been solid teammates and seem like good guys. Unfortunately, I think they both will get paid more then they are worth this offseason by some team that can better afford to do that then the O's.

Chen is solid but unspectacular. I just don't see him being worth to the the Orioles what he will get offered on the open market. Same with Matt Wieters. I've enjoyed rooting for both those guys, they have been solid teammates and seem like good guys. Unfortunately, I think they both will get paid more then they are worth this offseason by some team that can better afford to do that then the O's.

He is slightly better than league average as a lefty starter.

He is slightly better than league average as a lefty starter.

Ya, well, I was going on the "eye" test over three years of watching him. He's a good #3. Valuable for sure, but free agent starters are almost never worth what they get paid. The O's can't overpay, so, I wish him well.

H

I don't think we will resign anyone, nor do I think we should (assuming payroll is mostly fixed). These are all classic trap situations with a ton of examples of sucker teams talking themselves into their guy being the exception:

- 29 year old catcher having a career year. PASS. Don't think, ALWAYS pass.

- 32 year old reliever having a career year. PASS. You will pay for 4 more years like this. You will get the decline years for a pitcher that never could pitch more than 70 innings anyway.

- 30 year old starter having a career year. PASS. Chen is going to get PAID, and over the long haul. I'll wait for everyone to examine the history of 5+ year contracts to 30+ year old pitchers. Even the ones that were better than Chen didn't work out.

Passing on O'Day would be a huge mistake IMO. You'd need to have somebody ready to replace him and I don't see it. If he can be had on a reasonable deal they should extend him bedr he hits free agency.

Archived