Our pending free agents

primetime

Chen is in the top 8 in both ERA and WHIP the last two seasons combined that is not slightly better then league average.

How, the defense behind him? How is his K rate? How many pitches does he throw and how many innings does he complete? How is he against top teams and in the playoffs?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How, the defense behind him? How is his K rate? How many pitches does he throw and how many innings does he complete? How is he against top teams and in the playoffs?

A FIP of about 4.00 does not warrant the huge contract Chen is going to get.

You know, we can cherry pick our stats to reflect which side of the fence we are on about Chen.

Bottom line, decent left handed pitchers are in short supply and which causes the market value for them, to be higher than a similar saber stated right hander.

Would you pay 5/$80 mm to retain him? If not, what would you pay?

I would give him 5 years and 65 million not sure if that is going to be enough probally not but I think that is fair value for him. Boras clent and left handed he will most likely get more but if he signs 5/65 and we don't match i would be upset.

Would you pay 5/$80 mm to retain him? If not, what would you pay?

I'd be trading him if I could get an ERod for Miller type deal. If I couldn't then $16m per year isn't bad for him but 5 years seems tough to swallow.

He has a good defense behind him and he pitches to contact that does not mean he is a bad pitcher. He also helps the defense out by throwing strikes and not walking guys. He waas 11th last season in IP per start as a lefty. He has pitched three games in post seasona and had 2 good starts and 1 bad start.

Chen is protected alot by the team. But he's in the AL. The AL East. And pitches at OPACY. I'm not for resigning him. But the dude is going to get paid, and if that's by a team in the NL, he is going to be worth it.

I'd be trading him if I could get an ERod for Miller type deal. If I couldn't then $16m per year isn't bad for him but 5 years seems tough to swallow.

The Red Sox were in last place and out of the race when they made that trade. I do not think we will be. Plus, Eduardo progressed. We did not know he would ever be anything. And a draft pick is probably as valuable anyway.

Chen is protected alot by the team. But he's in the AL. The AL East. And pitches at OPACY. I'm not for resigning him. But the dude is going to get paid, and if that's by a team in the NL, he is going to be worth it.

No doubt he will get paid. Far more than a slightly better than league average lefty probably should be.

It's a little early to pronounce that Wieters is having a career year. In all three cases, there is no telling what their stats will look like when the year is over.

I'd bid on all three, and it depends how high the bidding goes (both years and dollars) as to whether we stay in the game. There is a lot of pitching on the market this winter, and it will be interesting to see how that market plays out. I predicted 5/$80 mm for Chen if he stays healthy and has a pretty good year, but I could be wrong about that.

There's a saying among NBA GMs "it only takes one a$$#$%^". I think you know that Chen is going to get a massive contract, even with the amount of pitching on the market. Hell, the fact that there are so many pitchers on the market is a great reason for us to wait and sign whoever we think ends up as the best value (like we did with Cruz).

Let's approach this from another angle: When was the last time a pitcher of Chen's caliber (and age) got a contract the O's would sign him to?

Just my opinions:

Wieters: We will not sign Wieters. He is a Boras agent and I think that he has shown enough recently to command Russell Martin money. The fact that we have Caleb Joseph and Chance Sisco could convince me that we don't need Wieters, but I personally think that Wieters is the backbone of the pitching staff and should be convinced to come back. I think we SHOULD resign him, I just don't think we will.

Davis: We will sign Davis. I don't think we should, but I worry about the impending 1B free agent class (which is threadbare) and what the Orioles plan to do about the position next year. The fact that they've done almost nothing to boost the 1B depth in the system (Walker? Snyder? please) leads me to think they aren't anticipating Plan B because they are going to keep Plan A. They aren't exactly working Parmalee hard to be the heir apparent. The only wild card would be a trade deadline swap for a stud or a blocked player, which is plausible, but most teams looking for for help at the deadline aren't hurting for 1B.

Chen: We won't sign Chen. Boras will get him a great rate on the market and I think that the frequent calls to Norfolk this year are just auditions for next year's team. Enter Mike Wright.

O'Day: His contract is really in the way of us keeping him, and let's face it, the dude deserves time logging saves with some team. I could see a deadline swap to a contender looking for bullpen help, and I think the Orioles would be okay without him. Just remember that this current bullpen is missing Andrew Miller from last season and is doing just fine now with Chaz Roe.

Pearce: Let's face it, not having the 2014 season in 2015 that we had hoped for. Love his versatility, but I just don't think there is a place for him that isn't on the bench, and bench players are somewhat interchangeable. I think we might re-sign him, but it really depends what he could get on the open market. There are some bad teams that could probably start him every day.

Norris: Gone. Enter Gausman. Could be a trade deadline kinda guy.

Hunter: Gone. Enter Tyler Wilson.

Young: Gone. Relieves the jam.

W. Wright: Who?

Sign Wieters, think about Davis, cut the rest. Sign Machado.

Archived