Our pending free agents

primetime

O'Day: His contract is really in the way of us keeping him, and let's face it, the dude deserves time logging saves with some team. I could see a deadline swap to a contender looking for bullpen help, and I think the Orioles would be okay without him. Just remember that this current bullpen is missing Andrew Miller from last season and is doing just fine now with Chaz Roe..

This is the main reason I think O'Day is gone, even if we want to keep him. He's deserved a closer role and he's not getting it here... same deal with Andrew Miller. Closing is the ultimate dream of any reliever after all.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a saying among NBA GMs "it only takes one a$$#$%^". I think you know that Chen is going to get a massive contract, even with the amount of pitching on the market. Hell, the fact that there are so many pitchers on the market is a great reason for us to wait and sign whoever we think ends up as the best value (like we did with Cruz).

Let's approach this from another angle: When was the last time a pitcher of Chen's caliber (and age) got a contract the O's would sign him to?

Ubaldo. Higher ceiling but lower floor. Going into Age 30 when he signed. Overall good comp for Chen. I do think there is a decent chance the O's make a fair offer to Chen. The problem is that Boras will hold out for more and possibly get it.

It is difficult to call Wieters the "backbone of the pitching staff" when the team won 96 games last year. I believe there is a greater possibility of making an attempt to sign him than Davis. Wieters would split time between catching/1B/DH. Chen will be gone, Pearce, Young also. B'Day a toss up, it will be his choice, the offer he gets from the O's should be similar to other offers.

Most teams probably don't think of O'Day as a closer. He'll get a 3/21 contract on the open market. O's might resign him for a hometown discount of 3/18. Otherwise they go into next season with Britton, Roe, Brach, McFarland, and a lot of open jobs for Drake, Givens, Cabral, etc.

He might be a bit unorthodox as a closer given he doesn't throw 95+, but he hasn't had an ERA over 2.28 the last 4 years and its just going further down each year. As long as he gets the job done then I don't see why a team wouldn't consider him for their closer role.

QO for all except O'Day, and I'd pass on O'Day. We just have too much success with low-cost relief pitchers that nobody had ever heard of, to pay market value or near market value for one. Just give me the Roe's, Brach's, and even O'Day's before he came a known commodity, and spend that money some place else.

QO for all except O'Day' date=' and I'd pass on O'Day. We just have too much success with low-cost relief pitchers that nobody had ever heard of, to pay market value or near market value for one. Just give me the Roe's, Brach's, and even O'Day's before he came a known commodity, and spend that money some place else.[/quote']

Yes. It's amazing to me that despite how successful the Orioles have been at this strategy over the past few years, fans still don't trust the process.

We may need both a starting pitcher and an outfielder this offseason, and there are lots of high quality ones available. We can't afford to drop 20-30 million on a reliever.

I'm not saying he couldn't close or that he's not worthy. I just think there is a bias by teams against a pitcher like him being the closer. O'Day was coming off a strong season in 2013 and yet the O's didn't turn to his experience to close over Hunter and than Britton last year. Case and point.

Nothing against O'Day.

This is generic comment about closers. Not every great reliever/set-up makes the transition to effective closer.

Closing is so much more pressure. It takes a special mindsight to be able to handle blowing a game and get right back on the horse, the next night and shake it out of your mind and concentrate on the current task at hang.

and I'm okay with that. They are all on the wrong side of 30 and someone will pay for their decline. They also all have problems with their game

1. Chen (stamina, IP/game, FIP)

2. Davis (K's, low BA, need for TUE)

3. Wieters (can he still catch 100+ games, what will he hit for his next full season)

4. O'day (age, has struggled at times against LH'ers, and I think HR rate can be an issue)

5. Pearce (one season wonder)

The biggest obstacle to O'Day closing is not his pitching style or makeup, it is his splits against LHB. He is most valuable by far when he can be matched up against the opposing team's best RHB. He has gotten better but his low ERA is in part a product of Buck using him properly. As long as teams go with a "closer" who pitches in the 9th no matter what, O'Day is better suited to a setup role. However, as long as nobody else offers him closer money, it's possible the O's recognize his value and make him an offer.

and I'm okay with that. They are all on the wrong side of 30 and someone will pay for their decline. They also all have problems with their game

1. Chen (stamina, IP/game, FIP)

2. Davis (K's, low BA, need for TUE)

3. Wieters (can he still catch 100+ games, what will he hit for his next full season)

4. O'day (age, has struggled at times against LH'ers, and I think HR rate can be an issue)

5. Pearce (one season wonder)

I actually think Pearce is the most likely to come back to the Orioles. He's better than he's played so far this year, and he's a decent defender at multiple spots. I wouldn't be surprised if he came back as a solid role player off the bench.

As for Chen, you need a lefty in the rotation. Other options: Brett Anderson or Scott Kazmir

I'm in the boat with those who think Chen will be not be re-signed, even at fair market price. I do agree that it would be nice to have a lefty in the rotation, but I can't see the O's paying money for a FA lefty either, unless its a minor league contract for depth. This may not be popular but how about giving Brian Matusz one more shot at the rotation?

I'm in the boat with those who think Chen will be not be re-signed, even at fair market price. I do agree that it would be nice to have a lefty in the rotation, but I can't see the O's paying money for a FA lefty either, unless its a minor league contract for depth. This may not be popular but how about giving Brian Matusz one more shot at the rotation?

OMG please say your kidding ANYBODY BUT Matusz I swear if the O's do that I may have to burn some of my O's gear. :laughlol: and yea I agree Chen is history.

Archived