Our pending free agents

primetime

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other then O'day and maybe Chen, I can't see any of our free agents that would really be worth signing. Davis will demand big money but he's way too unpredictable. And signing a 30+ year old catcher to a long term deal in the 80-100 million dollar range is dumb. We might have the money but we shouldn't spend it just to spend it. We could spend it more wisely in other ways.

Do you really believe that's even an option, realistically? I think Jones would publicly request a trade if that happened.

I think we may well reduce payroll. Maybe not dramatically. Depending on the outcome of the MASN case. Jones does not need to request a trade. He can leave after 2018 with Dan Duquette if he chooses.

I think we may well reduce payroll. Maybe not dramatically. Depending on the outcome of the MASN case. Jones does not need to request a trade. He can leave after 2018 with Dan Duquette if he chooses.

IMO, and I suspect, the payroll might stay where it's at, we can rule out, any hope for even the slightest increase, depending on the MASN outcome.

Throw the big bucks at Wieters, because on top of all the hitting and catching skills he possesses, he could one day be the solution at 1B... even next year if we have too many holes, then caleb can just be the everyday catcher

Is it really worth paying a guy 18 mil a year to hit OPS .750-800 at 1b? Wieters has value because of his plus bat for a catcher and defense there, but he'd be an average 1B offensively.

Throw the big bucks at Wieters, because on top of all the hitting and catching skills he possesses, he could one day be the solution at 1B... even next year if we have too many holes, then caleb can just be the everyday catcher

We did. Boras said. "Mauer." We'd get the same results I am afraid.

We did. Boras said. "Mauer." We'd get the same results I am afraid.

In Mauers case, he went from being a 4-5 WAR player to a 1-2 WAR player as a 1b. Standards are much higher for 1B so even if you're a really good hitting catcher, it just won't cut it at 1B... and you're right, thats likely the same kinda drop we'd see with Wieters if he became a 1B. He'd become easily replaceable by a guy we'd be paying 1/3 the price to play 1b.

Going back to the OP, yes I think we will re-sign some of our own free agents. With $51 mm coming off, we have a lot of flexibility. I've always thought we'd make a hard run at Wieters. Like some others have suggested, the first thing I'd try to do is lock up Manny, then see what's left over to do other things. I also think that if Bundy hasn't proved he's healthy by September, we are going to have to invest in a starting pitcher.

Going back to the OP, yes I think we will re-sign some of our own free agents. With $51 mm coming off, we have a lot of flexibility. I've always thought we'd make a hard run at Wieters. Like some others have suggested, the first thing I'd try to do is lock up Manny, then see what's left over to do other things. I also think that if Bundy hasn't proved he's healthy by September, we are going to have to invest in a starting pitcher.

DD has said every season, priority will be given to trying to keep their guys first, before looking elsewhere.

I don't think we will resign anyone, nor do I think we should (assuming payroll is mostly fixed). These are all classic trap situations with a ton of examples of sucker teams talking themselves into their guy being the exception:

- 29 year old catcher having a career year. PASS. Don't think, ALWAYS pass.

- 32 year old reliever having a career year. PASS. You will pay for 4 more years like this. You will get the decline years for a pitcher that never could pitch more than 70 innings anyway.

- 30 year old starter having a career year. PASS. Chen is going to get PAID, and over the long haul. I'll wait for everyone to examine the history of 5+ year contracts to 30+ year old pitchers. Even the ones that were better than Chen didn't work out.

I agree, I think payroll is cut but if it reaches Tampa territory then I think you see a real upset manager, team leader, and fan base. I think around 110m or so and that leaves plenty of room for additions.

I also think that if Bundy hasn't proved he's healthy by September, we are going to have to invest in a starting pitcher.

If they re-sign Chen, would that meet your intent to invest in a starting pitcher?

I thnk Duquette may still go after a mid-level FA, but re-signing Chen would give us a rotation of Chen, Gonzalez, Gausman, Jiminez, and Tillman (alpha order so as not to get into a value discussion!). This means that Bundy at least starts in the pen and is available for long relief and spot starts, as needed. McFarland could fill a similar role from the left side.

On a side note, next year Wright, Wilson, and Givens will all be "optional" relievers providing a great deal more flexibility than we have had early this year. If Wesley Wright can't prove himself both healthy and effective, we might have to look at a lefty reliever (ideally able to handle right-handed hitters as well) in free agency too.

I don't think we will resign anyone, nor do I think we should (assuming payroll is mostly fixed). These are all classic trap situations with a ton of examples of sucker teams talking themselves into their guy being the exception:

- 29 year old catcher having a career year. PASS. Don't think, ALWAYS pass.

- 32 year old reliever having a career year. PASS. You will pay for 4 more years like this. You will get the decline years for a pitcher that never could pitch more than 70 innings anyway.

- 30 year old starter having a career year. PASS. Chen is going to get PAID, and over the long haul. I'll wait for everyone to examine the history of 5+ year contracts to 30+ year old pitchers. Even the ones that were better than Chen didn't work out.

It's a little early to pronounce that Wieters is having a career year. In all three cases, there is no telling what their stats will look like when the year is over.

I'd bid on all three, and it depends how high the bidding goes (both years and dollars) as to whether we stay in the game. There is a lot of pitching on the market this winter, and it will be interesting to see how that market plays out. I predicted 5/$80 mm for Chen if he stays healthy and has a pretty good year, but I could be wrong about that.

Archived