Ryan Flaherty/Jon Schoop...

EagleOriole

Last season we hit .193 as a pinch hitter besides Young who hit .500. This season we have hit .174 as a team pinch hitting outside of Young who is hitting .333. It is not the easiest thing to do and is something Young is very good at.

Except that it is pretty much an unprovable skill and of minor use for an AL team.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see Flaherty having this type of season. A good super-utility has nice value to a team, but I wonder as Flaherty gets the experience and the higher salary soon if we are not better dealing him if the opportunity arise. Paredes is not of the same quality defensively, but has shown a strong offensive upside.

We have not seen DD move any critical playoff pieces off the team yet in several years (other than letting Markakis and Cruz go for salary reasons) so it is difficult to expect that Flaherty will be moved.

I think more the point some of us were making is that he was potentially a viable starter at second base. Not an allstar but I think he is showing that as well.

He's fine filling in, but I think his real value lies in the fact that he can player every position on the field besides catcher and pitcher.

Nice to see Flaherty having this type of season. A good super-utility has nice value to a team, but I wonder as Flaherty gets the experience and the higher salary soon if we are not better dealing him if the opportunity arise. Paredes is not of the same quality defensively, but has shown a strong offensive upside.

We have not seen DD move any critical playoff pieces off the team yet in several years (other than letting Markakis and Cruz go for salary reasons) so it is difficult to expect that Flaherty will be moved.

Understatement of the year when it comes to comparing the defensive abilities of Flaherty and Paredes. Not many teams have a guy who can back up all three infield positions and play as well or almost as well as the starter. I love the fact that when Flaherty plays I don't hold my breath when balls are hit him like most of our backups in the past at SS, 3B and even 2B. No way Paredes is considered a cheaper version of Flaherty. Paredes glove should be in cased in glass with a sign that says, break only in emergencies! Besides, Flaherty is not going to be expensive anytime soon.

Understatement of the year when it comes to comparing the defensive abilities of Flaherty and Paredes. Not many teams have a guy who can back up all three infield positions and play as well or almost as well as the starter. I love the fact that when Flaherty plays I don't hold my breath when balls are hit him like most of our backups in the past at SS, 3B and even 2B. No way Paredes is considered a cheaper version of Flaherty. Paredes glove should be in cased in glass with a sign that says, break only in emergencies! Besides, Flaherty is not going to be expensive anytime soon.

Ryan Flaherty is one of the top Rule Five pick ups of all time.

And Young?

T-shirt cannon guy who throws them into the crowd with his howitzer arm.

He's just too limited of a player at this point. Seems like an obvious DFA even though he's one of my favorite players and has my eternal gratitude for the greatest double in world history.

Archived