Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

here is what you are missing. 1. once the cubs fill their roster & hit their budget limit...the interest in roberts from them stops. 2. i don't see anyone else making offers for him 3. roberts' value only drops from here as it is a step closer to free agency. He is being wasted on a 5th place team. The next thing will be him forcing a trade due to his attitude slipping. I doubt he wants to play on a 5th place team during his prime years.

1) Their roster is already "filled", if you want to get technical.

2) We don't have to trade Roberts.

3) He won't start to lose real value until MAYBE next offseason.

Don't act like the Cubs are holding any aces here.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cubs hold aces here. They aren't slated to come in last in their division for the foreseeable future, won the division w/ less overall talent last year & are not hanging onto to a soon-to-be free agent. On top of that, they have more pressing needs...notably CF & SS. If you see a move in the direction of one of those two positions...the roberts deal is in the rear view mirror. Like i've said over & over...where are the other suitors & where are their offers? His value only drops from here.

i am a jerk because i'm saying the cubs appear to be ready to move in another direction? That makes me a jerk?

No, it's the way you handle yourself in your posts. You come off as unintelligent and holier than thou...

In other words, Hendry has lost the desire to win a World Series.

If I were you, I would be demanding his head on a platter served over roasted billy goat.

Come on, that is a ridicuous statement. There is no possible way anyone can equate the acquisition of Roberts = winning the World Series. If so, why haven't the Orioles been lifted to great heights by his unbelievable talent? Roberts is a very good player, but lets not put him in Cooperstown yet.

Also, to use O's fans own words - "We don't have to trade Roberts so MacPhail should not accept anything but..." Well, the Cubs don't have to trade for Roberts either. Why should Hendry pay way more than market value for Brian Roberts? A lot of people would say Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal and another player is already overpaying for Roberts.

Come on, that is a ridicuous statement. There is no possible way anyone can equate the acquisition of Roberts = winning the World Series. If so, why haven't the Orioles been lifted to great heights by his unbelievable talent? Roberts is a very good player, but lets not put him in Cooperstown yet.

Also, to use O's fans own words - "We don't have to trade Roberts so MacPhail should not accept anything but..." Well, the Cubs don't have to trade for Roberts either. Why should Hendry pay way more than market value for Brian Roberts? A lot of people would say Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal and another player is already overpaying for Roberts.

2 opinions : 1. Because they dont have fuku, soriano, lee, aram, and a team :002_scool:

#2. totally agree!! :002_sbiggrin:

Peter told Andy, "OK Andy. Do it. I don't like it but do it. One thing however. Wait until the week before Opening Day in case we get a better deal."

Out of respect for Peter's Greek heritage, this will have to wait until after Easter. Deal's done Monday, announced Tueday.

Orthodox Easter is April 27 however, so I could be wrong about the Easter part.

Don't get posters started about Angelos being involved again.

Believe me if Am waits to the trade dead line offers will be less then there are now. Teams are looking for pitching at that point. It sounds to me Roberts wants out sooner rather then later.

i wonder if AM is waiting till end of ST so that he knows that the boofu of players hes getting from the cubs are healthy. its a possibliity

I'm not sure I believe you.:D

Can you show us where 2nd basemen have been involved in July deadline trades of any magnitude? July deadline deals are usually for pitching or middle of the order hitters and many posters have shown how the returns for the players traded is not very strong. By the middle of the year, a lot of top prospects are already making an impact at the major league level so the team isn't as likely to trade them.

Oops - maybe your post was in regards to the comment about Roberts wanting out sooner rather than later. If so, I am sorry.

here is what you are missing. 1. once the cubs fill their roster & hit their budget limit...the interest in roberts from them stops. 2. i don't see anyone else making offers for him 3. roberts' value only drops from here as it is a step closer to free agency. He is being wasted on a 5th place team. The next thing will be him forcing a trade due to his attitude slipping. I doubt he wants to play on a 5th place team during his prime years.

Here's what you are missing...

1) We don't "need" to trade him

2) We may well be in 5th place with or without him, so it really doesn't matter - "we" have NOTHING to lose

3) "We" do not have to do a deal with the Cubs, at least until the trade deadline when you need to get Trachsel again (suckas...)

4) "We" do not need to bid against ourselves for what we want in return

5) The longer the Cubs wait to get this done, the more they risk NEVER getting it done (we're not the ones trying to get to a World Series here)

6) I guess you all would know something about "wasting" people on a 5th place team, or a 2nd place team for that matter. At what point is someone being "wasted"? 3rd place? Last place? That was not an intelligent comment, just a little bit of sour grapes...

7) Brian Roberts is a professional and a competitor, and he will continue to give 100%. I guess you don't know him very well.

I think I'm done.

Can you show us where 2nd basemen have been involved in July deadline trades of any magnitude? July deadline deals are usually for pitching or middle of the order hitters and many posters have shown how the returns for the players traded is not very strong. By the middle of the year, a lot of top prospects are already making an impact at the major league level so the team isn't as likely to trade them.

Oops - maybe your post was in regards to the comment about Roberts wanting out sooner rather than later. If so, I am sorry.

I was just responding (sarcastically) to the "Believe me" lead-in to the response, hence the smiley face after my comment.

Point is, no matter when (if) he is traded, it won't happen unless AM is happy with the return and we get at least a player or two and we believe can be major contributors to our long term success - for the most part, we hearing names of utility level players (AAAA). Show me the "Adam Jones" and "George Sherrill" in any of the speculated Cubs offers. There has been a lot of quantity speculated, but no high-level immediate contributors to build around.

Hell I just wish Andy M would say enough is enough. Roberts will be starting second this season. Maybe Roberts would sign an extension to his contarct. Hell let the man retire an Oriole. I know it won't or probably won't happen but i am starting to wish taht Roberts could stay with the O's his career. Forget the trade business.

Archived