This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

Isn't much of this just complaining that the Orioles' moves didn't work out as well as other team's? 20/20 hindsight? The Royals signed Morales, a 32-year-old DH coming off a string of poor years including -2 win '14, and they get credit for going for it. Medlin has pitched three innings for them, after pitching none last year. How is either move a sign that they're more committed to winning than Duquette? On the other hand, Gattis has been terrible this year, but the Astros get credit for improving the team? If Duquette had signed Nathan Eovaldi, coming off 6-14 season with an ERA and K rate well below league average, it would have been characterized as more penny-pinching dumpster-diving. And unless I'm remembering incorrectly most of the board was against going after a 40-year-old Hunter.

I know the poster only mentioned the two Royals transactions you are slamming, but the facts are that the Royals signed Alex Rios, Kendry Morales (to replace a departing Billy Butler), Edison Volquez, Ryan Madson, and Medlin. Some of these moves have worked out for the Royals and some not so much but its a solid offseason and one that feels like the team wants to supplement its core for another playoff run.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yankees traded for Eovaldi and he was a fairly sought after trade commodity. It was a good move then and I know one front office was 1) angry they missed out and 2) looking to try and get Eovaldi from New York throughout the first half. They felt his poor production last year was mostly due to luck and defense.

He isn't a superstar, but he is cheap and durable. FIP 2013 through this year has been 3.59, 3.37, 3.52.

Eovaldi was a guy I was interested in this past offseason. We had "too many starters", though.

Eovaldi was a guy I was interested in this past offseason. We had "too many starters", though.

Maybe trade the expensive ones and replace with guys like Eovaldi? I'm told that's not possible except for Billy Beane, though...

Yankees traded for Eovaldi and he was a fairly sought after trade commodity. It was a good move then and I know one front office was 1) angry they missed out and 2) looking to try and get Eovaldi from New York throughout the first half. They felt his poor production last year was mostly due to luck and defense.

He isn't a superstar, but he is cheap and durable. FIP 2013 through this year has been 3.59, 3.37, 3.52.

I knew little about Eovaldi, what you've just said tripled my knowledge of him. I'm only commenting that the Yanks trade for a guy who slots in as a back-end starter, coming off some poor observed performances, and they get credit for improving the team. While the O's are criticized for going into the season with six starters who projected in roughly the same neighborhood as Eovaldi.

Maybe trade the expensive ones and replace with guys like Eovaldi? I'm told that's not possible except for Billy Beane, though...

He is averaging 5.4 innings a start and has an ERA of 4.43. He is better than Bud Norris?, yes but nobody else.

The Yankees rotation is worse than last year, their offense is carrying the team.

I know the poster only mentioned the two Royals transactions you are slamming, but the facts are that the Royals signed Alex Rios, Kendry Morales (to replace a departing Billy Butler), Edison Volquez, Ryan Madson, and Medlin. Some of these moves have worked out for the Royals and some not so much but its a solid offseason and one that feels like the team wants to supplement its core for another playoff run.

The Royals seem to get credit for quantity of moves. As I said, Morales was certainly a buy-low guy. Rios has been terrible, far worse than Snider. Medlin has done nothing at all. Volquez is a fine mid-rotation guy, but he was just a one-for-one replacement for Shields who they let walk. And Madson has been fine, pretty comparable to Chaz Roe, but hadn't pitched in the majors in four years. Forgive me if I don't see the seismic difference between their offseason and the Orioles'.

Of course, the Yanks traded Prado, Phelps, and cash (how much?) got get Eovaldi. BTW, Phelps has thrown 94 IP to a 3.82 FIP this year for the Marlins.

Eovaldi would be looked at on this team the same way most of the staff is, not an ace and another pitcher that doesn't go deep into games.

he is averaging 5.4 innings a start and has an era of 4.43. He is better than bud norris?, yes but nobody else.

The yankees rotation is worse than last year, their offense is carrying the team.

c.r.e.a.m.

The Royals seem to get credit for quantity of moves. As I said, Morales was certainly a buy-low guy. Rios has been terrible, far worse than Snider. Medlin has done nothing at all. Volquez is a fine mid-rotation guy, but he was just a one-for-one replacement for Shields who they let walk. And Madson has been fine, pretty comparable to Chaz Roe, but hadn't pitched in the majors in four years. Forgive me if I don't see the seismic difference between their offseason and the Orioles'.

They also let Aoki go who is having a great year in San Fran and got a lot less money then Rios.

A crystal ball would come in handy in baseball.

I am not sure crystle ball is always neccessary. Aoki has had good numbers thouughout his career and with the 4 million contract he got it amazes me we did not offer him that or anyother team really. We gave Cabrera that money and all he was going to be was a backup.

I am not sure crystle ball is always neccessary. Aoki has had good numbers thouughout his career and with the 4 million contract he got it amazes me we did not offer him that or anyother team really. We gave Cabrera that money and all he was going to be was a backup.

Cabrera was 2.4 million, which isn't 4 millon, or even close to it.

Archived