I am completely and utterly perplexed by this 2015 Orioles team.

PeteU

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This season for me has underscored just how valuable Cruz was for us last year. He was the difference maker.

There are a lot of differences between this year and last year, and I don't think you can pin it on one player. It's quite clear that we miss Cruz's production, and that has been exacerbated by the poor performance of De Aza, Young, Snider, Lough, and others.

All that says to me is that we need to do better in our remaining games against those teams. As they say in the stock market, "past results do not guarantee future results."

I'm encouraged with our starting pitching, which is the foundation for improvement over the final 62 games. The will need more help from the offense than they've gotten in July, but I think it is likely that they will get it.

No argument I truly hope that's exactly what happens.

This season for me has underscored just how valuable Cruz was for us last year. He was the difference maker.

He was a mistake I would have made. And paid dearly for. But I would have made it. This season proves just how important those older PED enhanced power hitting DHs are to contenders.

I don't think our offense is good enough to take us where we want to go. It still can't spell OBP, and I'm waiting for it to remember what hitting with RISP is. We're bad at winning close games this season. Those two one run losses to the Yankees were huge. Plus, unlike last season, this team doesn't win consistently on the road.

These things could change, and I hope they do, but I don't want to give up good prospects in trades.

The Orioles were bipolar in 1974 too.

63-65, finished 28-6, collapsed in the playoffs.

No argument I truly hope that's exactly what happens.

ME too. And in the playoffs absolutely anything can happen. It is totally who gets hot and who sees the ball well for a week. And who's arm is slightly stiff.

I don't think our offense is good enough to take us where we want to go. It still can't spell OBP, and I'm waiting for it to remember what hitting with RISP is. We're bad at winning close games this season. Those two one run losses to the Yankees were huge. Plus, unlike last season, this team doesn't win consistently on the road.

These things could change, and I hope they do, but I don't want to give up good prospects in trades.

A power hitting team with a hot starter can own a short series. Especially when you get power from Travis Ishikawa.

I don't know if our pitching is a mirage based on who we've pitched well against: Tigers, Rays, Braves.I will say this.If Tillman is really back and if Ubaldo made the proper adjustment theres something going forward we didn't have in recent weeks. Also, add Gausman and Miguel and Chen and IF they are indeed as good as they have been lately, we could be in it for a while, MAYBE TO THE END. If the pitching is closer to the NY series performances we will be done right after the west coast trip.I'll be in Anaheim every game. Im extremely curious to see how this team plays.That will tell me a lot.

Jon Lester was gonna make the As better last year. Then he was gonna win that one game.

• 3 weeks later...

The 2015 "Godfather Part III" Orioles:

[video=youtube;UPw-3e_pzqU]

(Also an apt comparison on account of probably not being that awful when considered independently, but disappointing in contrast to the version that immediately preceded it)

Archived