Orioles agree to terms with Cuban outfielder Reinier Romero

Going Underground

I think this is a rather simplistic evaluation that ignores comparative system depth, international talent that has been traded for quality pieces, and future outlook. But it does paint Baltimore in a good light, so it's cool to see. I doubt a similar examination will be as kind over the next 1-3 years, but I'm wrong plenty.

Yeah, it certainly isn't exhaustive. Although one international talent traded for quality pieces was Eduardo Rodriguez. Nor do I expect it to continue. And when I started looking, I was really surprised at the results. I think Schoop alone will make us look ok for a little while. I would be nice to have a bunch of fire throwing pitchers like Jorge Julio or Daniel Cabrera on the horizon, and the international slotting system makes it easier to not fall way behind, but things aren't completely bleak.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, it certainly isn't exhaustive. Although one international talent traded for quality pieces was Eduardo Rodriguez. Nor do I expect it to continue. And when I started looking, I was really surprised at the results. I think Schoop alone will make us look ok for a little while. I would be nice to have a bunch of fire throwing pitchers like Jorge Julio or Daniel Cabrera on the horizon, and the international slotting system makes it easier to not fall way behind, but things aren't completely bleak.

My critiques have less to do with the organization being crippled and more to do with not fully leveraging opportunities. It's nice that Baltimore hit on Schoop and Rodriguez.

My critiques have less to do with the organization being crippled and more to do with not fully leveraging opportunities. It's nice that Baltimore hit on Schoop and Rodriguez.

Yep, and I agree with you there. Leaving international slots on the table is a dereliction of duty. Either trade them or sign players but having them go to waste is just inexplicably poor decision making.

Cespedes, Puig, Chapman, Tomas, Castillo and soon to be Moncada? O's need to take chances on some of these kinds of guys.

It's looking like they whiffed on Urrutia. Alvarez remains to be seen, but he's put up a 733 OPS in AAA this year...and he doesn't walk. I'm hoping he can turn it around. And for this Romero guy, I'm legitimately curious due to the age and the $800k.

I'd rather have Urrutia, Alvarez, and Miranda than Castillo, Tomas, Miguel Gonzalez(Phillies).

I'd rather have Urrutia, Alvarez, and Miranda than Castillo, Tomas, Miguel Gonzalez(Phillies).

I don't know Miranda well, but I think Castillo is a potential first division guy. He was so impressive before his injury earlier this year.

Archived