Matt Harvey For Zach Britton?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Harvey For Zach Britton?

• Dark Knight (Boras Client)
    • Zach Attack (Boras Client)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you know who Matt Harvey is? You wouldn't trade a closer for one of the best pitchers in the game?
Yes, I do know who Matt Harvey is. He's the guy who causes many of the soap operas in New York for the Mets.

Do we truly need this?

http://espn.go.com/newyork/mlb/story/_/id/13822511/matt-harvey-misses-mandatory-workout-newyork-mets

NEW YORK -- Mets ace Matt Harvey missed a mandatory team workout Tuesday at Citi Field.

Harvey later apologized to teammates for the unexcused absence, which apparently happened because he lost track of time.

"Obviously, today was not the greatest," Harvey said after arriving at Citi Field. "I know we had a mandatory workout. The last thing I ever want to do is not be here with my team. Basically, there's no excuse. I screwed up. I wasn't here. I showed up a little late. I've talked to [general manager] Sandy [Alderson] and I've talked to [manager] Terry [Collins] and my teammates and apologized to them and apologized to everybody. They understand. I'm here to get my workout in and be with the team.

"Unfortunately, today I screwed up. There's not really anything else to say. They know what happened. I told everybody and apologized to everybody and told them it's not going to happen again. It's never happened before. Unfortunately, it happened kind of at a bad time, a mandatory time. Truly, I just screwed up."

He says "I screwed up" about 3 times (at least).

Yes, I do know who Matt Harvey is. He's the guy who causes many of the soap operas in New York for the Mets.

Do we truly need this?

http://espn.go.com/newyork/mlb/story/_/id/13822511/matt-harvey-misses-mandatory-workout-newyork-mets

He says "I screwed up" about 3 times (at least).

He missed a workout...not that big of a deal.

To answer your question - he's an ace, so yes, we do need that.

The Mets would never do this trade anyway.

He missed a workout...not that big of a deal.
Really? Does Showalter need this headache? I don't recall any Orioles, including Chris Davis, Adam Jones, or Manny Machado missing any mandatory workouts. Nor any of the O's pitchers.
To answer your question - he's an ace, so yes, we do need that.

The Mets would never do this trade anyway.

That's good. The Mets can keep him. We don't need temperamental aces who think they are too good for mandatory workouts, or get caught up in traffic or whatever.

You have to breathe somehow.

Pfft. Oxygen is so 2005.

Nope. I just don't think that they need Harvey, especially for Britton.

You wouldn't trade a very good reliever who's about to jump to $6-7 million in arbitration(Britton) for a fringe ace(Harvey) with multiple years of team control remaining?

I dunno, dude. I don't think there's an MLB GM in this or any other possible universe that would even hesitate for a nanosecond on pulling the trigger on that deal if they were the ones getting Harvey.

And yes, that is factoring in his off-field comments/gaffes.

That is assuming that DD can pull off a worthwhile trade. Which, at least for me, is a very tenuous assumption. :rolleyestf:

Moments after the Parra trade I said DD should never be allowed to make another trade and was literally called ridiculous. I stand by this to be honest... he gets consistently fleeced with us.

Moments after the Parra trade I said DD should never be allowed to make another trade and was literally called ridiculous. I stand by this to be honest... he gets consistently fleeced with us.

Has Duquette ever made a deal as Oriole GM where he gave up a then-valuable asset? When he traded Arrieta and Strop they were likely release candidates. Davies, Hader, Rodriguez were either a long way from the majors or underperforming or not terribly highly regarded at the time. Jim Johnson was coming up on an arb hearing that would get him a $10M contract, which pretty much no one here wanted to do. Duquette has never traded a regular player or a top prospect in his time with the O's.

Has Duquette ever made a deal as Oriole GM where he gave up a then-valuable asset? When he traded Arrieta and Strop they were likely release candidates. Davies, Hader, Rodriguez were either a long way from the majors or underperforming or not terribly highly regarded at the time. Jim Johnson was coming up on an arb hearing that would get him a $10M contract, which pretty much no one here wanted to do. Duquette has never traded a regular player or a top prospect in his time with the O's.

Thanks for a sane and reasonable post!

I disagree completely...all the names you referenced were then-valuable assets, though perhaps not elite in value. Arrieta was not a release candidate despite his struggles, that's just inaccurate. He was a valuable asset as he was recovered from the bone spurs and was throwing 97 MPH; it's already been noted that the deal was labeled by the press as one that could come back to bite the O's and it has...the real issue for many was that the return was a mediocre rental not likely to move the needle.

Davies is none of the things your referenced and it seems the Brewers are pretty tickled with what he contributed. He's not a top rated prospect but certainly the type of asset that payroll restricted franchises should covet. The issue for many was the return for Davies was a mediocre rental not likely to move the needle.

I assume your suggesting that ERod was underperforming, though he was desirable enough for the acquiring organization to shift gears away from Detroit and deal him to the O's. It seems stock may have been down in the O's eyes, but not in the eyes of other organizations. The turnaround (although I'd say that characterization is illusory) has been swift and the Red Sox appear to have a nice asset.

Hader was certainly years away from the majors, but I'm not sure why that makes a trade acceptable on it's face. Not to mention Hader was dealt along with a first round draft pick, which is clearly a then valuable asset.

I have no problem dumping Jim Johnson rather than paying him $10M...It's just terrible planning letting the situation get to that point. Are we going to do the same with Britton?

I saw a then-valuable asset dealt to the Dodgers in a salary dump. Apparently DD offered a then-valuable asset in Zach Britton to the Mets for Ike Davis only to be rejected.

Sure DD has never dealt a regular player or top prospect, apparently the MO is to ride out their arbitration calendar and then deliberate on whether to make a qualifying offer. That's fine when your farm system is a regular contributor, but a little trickier when you deal away much of your secondary prospects (i.e. cheap contributors) and fail in the development of highly rated prospects needed to sustain the franchise's success.

Matt Harvey has a lot of talent, but from what I have heard, his teammates, as well as coaches and upper management can't stand him. Based on this, I do not believe he would fit into the Orioles clubhouse. I don't think Buck would want him from a chemistry standpoint.

Wow, just wow.

You're the guy who posted his immediate, clearly contrite apology so I know you've read it. Make mountains out of molehills much or just in this instance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you believe that Showalter would think about the "mountain out of molehills" of missing mandatory practices?

Fortunately, as others have said -- this trade's not going to happen.

What do you believe that Showalter would think about the "mountain out of molehills" of missing mandatory practices?

Fortunately, as others have said -- this trade's not going to happen.

Cal Jr. once missed a team flight because he was delayed in traffic, though it cost Frank Wren his job since he chose not to keep the plane on the ground waiting for Cal. Point is this stuff happens and, if it is isolated, is absolutely making a mountain out of a molehill.

Does this scenario also involve me relaxing with my supermodel wife in my 40,000 square foot mansion in Palm Beach while waiting for them to gas up my jet to fly me to my private Polynesian island?

Sure!

Archived