I believe Justin Morneau is the answer at 1st if we don't resign Davis.

higgybaby

1) You might want more than that, but you're almost certainly not going to get a lot more than that. The O's have won the Bedard trade 40-3 or something like that. You simply can't expect to get much more value than that. If you trade Manny it's overwhelmingly likely that no single player in the deal will even approach being as good as Manny. Trading a young player on a HOF track is almost always a poor idea. Jones, Schoop, and Britton have some surplus value but you probably won't get anything like a Bedard haul from any of them, you might approach that from the combination if you're lucky.

2) I don't think the Orioles have any intention of just signing a bunch of retreads and buy-low guys and Rule 5 guys this offseason. If that's really the case nobody would want to be here. My assumption is that they make some reasonable moves and try their best to get Manny extended for a long time.

If they don't do this you can forget about Manny extending. And if he isn't willing, is he worth more in trade than three years production on a .500 team at best?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The list of guys that Weams mentioned in his thread fit the category. I've seen nothing from the Orioles since the 90s that tells me they are interested in the top tier players. They will targets guys getting little interest elsewhere. They might get a decent player like they did with Nelson Cruz but it will be at a bargain.

Not saying it's not okay to get a bargain just that it can't be all you do.

Dang so Tejeda doesn't count?

I think Mancini, Bundy, and Givens are the only players who spent a significant amount of time with 2015 Baysox with a reasonable chance of a MLB career. Winning a minor league pennant usually has little correlation to future MLB production.

But there are others that helped the Baysox to the title that have a chance to help the O's some day. Hess, Gunkel, Lee, Triggs, Toliver, Miranda.

But there are others that helped the Baysox to the title that have a chance to help the O's some day. Hess, Gunkel, Lee, Triggs, Toliver, Miranda.

Sure, most teams have a lot of guys in that gray area between organizational soldier and decent major leaguer. If enough goes right some of them could wriggle their way into the Baseball Encyclopedia.

Was Tejada in high demand that year? If so I stand corrected, but still that was 12 years ago.

Tejada was juicing and was three years older than he said. Because he was his own brother. Maybe other teams knew. Or cared.

That said, I enjoyed having him as an Oriole.

Archived