Oliver Drake 2015 MiLBY Reliever of the Year.

weams

I'm not sure.

I'm just a pseudo reporter that gives the results of the Orioles pitchers in as much detail as I can ...... although I occasionally give my rat's ass of an opinion on said pitchers' outings, as well.

We all know that you do not fly so have you stayed at a national motel chain in your meanderings? If so there is that....:P. Could you opine anyway? :scratchchinhmm: I love his unconventional delivery and lack of tatts. When he becomes our closer, we can call him our Navy Seal! (ya know - seal the deal)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 OUTS: 1 Strikeout, 1 Groundout, 1 Flyout

OLIVER GARDNER DRAKE O(vs. YANKEES, 3/18) O[spring Training]

IP:. 1

H:;; 0 ll

R:l) 0

BB: 2

SO: 1

Pitches: 24 (13 Strikes, 11 Balls)

PITCHES BY INNING

24 (13 Strikes, 11 Balls)

4 days later:

(vs. TWINS, 3/22) O[spring Training]

1 Inning

2 Strikeouts

3 up, 3 down.

Drake has been optioned to AAA-Norfolk:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/03/wrapping-up-a-6-1-win-and-the-grapefruit-league-schedule.html

• 2 months later...

o

(vs. PADRES, 6/21)

In his 2016 MLB season debut, Drake came into a situation that was about as tough as can be, with the bases loaded and nobody out.

He allowed the tying run to score on a wild pitch. After that, he did a reasonably good job of minimizing the damage of the inning by only allowing 1 additional run to score by the time that he recorded the 3rd out.

He pitched an additional shutout inning in the 8th, keeping the game close (7-6.)

I don't remember Drake's delivery last year being quite as funky as it is this year. He almost seems to be leaning backwards when he releases the ball.

Anyway, I thought he pitched well last night. His first pitch was a splitter that went under Pena's glove, called a wild pitch but it was a passed ball IMO. Then the O's had their infield in and the batter hit a chopper to Schoop, but he didn't field it cleanly and had to throw it to 1B instead of trying for an out at home. So, Drake allowed two inherited runners to score, but with a little better defense, it might have been zero.

Think Schoop and Pena really aided in losing that game. That splitter was catchable. And Schoop totally screwed the pooch on that ball. Looked like he'd have a good shot of killing that run at the plate.

I like Drake. And I hope he stays up here going forward.

o

(vs. D-RAYS, 6/25) O [GAME ONE]

Although he pitched 1.33 shutout innings to close out the game and the win for the Orioles, Drake had a shaky 9th inning. He walked the first 2 batters of the frame with a 5-run lead. He rebounded nicely to get the next 3 batters without allowing either of the base-runners to score.

He made an excellent defensive play covering 1st base to salvage an out after Chris Davis bobbled a ground ball.

He immediately put out any spark that the Blue Jays may have had in the previous inning (the 8th) by relieving Kevin Gausman with a runner on 1st base and 2 outs, as he got Logan Forsythe to fly out to the rightfielder.

o

5 OUTS: 2 Strikeouts, 1 Groundout, 1 Popout, 1 Foulout

OLIVER GARDNER DRAKE O (vs. PADRES, 6/28)

IP:. 1.67

H:;; 2 ll(1 Home Run, 1 Double)

R:l) 3

BB:)1

SO:)2

Pitches: 37 (22 Strikes, 15 Balls)

2016 ERA: 5.40

PITCHES BY INNING

91 (61 Strikes, 31 Balls)

28 (16 Strikes, 12 Balls) *

* Drake recorded 2 outs before departing in the 7th inning.

Drake was not good today. I am a big fan, but I think he is on the next bus back to Norfolk. Buck had that "I ain't trusting you again for a long while " look when he had to come get him in the ninth and had to warm and bring Givens in.

Caught the end of the game on radio. Johnson was saying that Drake has trouble adjusting to the "major league ball". I didnt know this but apparently the AAA/AA ball is different from the major league ball. Johnson said his son (Steve) has the same problem.

Caught the end of the game on radio. Johnson was saying that Drake has trouble adjusting to the "major league ball". I didnt know this but apparently the AAA/AA ball is different from the major league ball. Johnson said his son (Steve) has the same problem.

One of the things that MLB does that has never made sense to me. It's a no-brainer to standardize things if you want a smooth transition from one league to the next. If it has something to do with what ball is cheaper or what not then just go with the cheaper ball for both the majors and minors.

Archived