Why didn't O'Day get a QO

Catch 8

Dan Quisenberry probably has the record. Estimated at $40M+

Wow, I didn't think of those crazy lifetime deals the Royals handed out. That has to be one of the more-ill advised contracts of all time, giving $40M+ to a 1980s reliever. Back then a win in free agency was probably under $1M, and Quiz was worth about six wins from '85-on. Doing the math... that was at least a 600% overpay. Probably the equivalent of giving Britton a $250M contract today.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no desire to pay O'Day big bucks

but I still think he needed the QO

These two statements are contradictory. If you gave O'Day the QO' date=' you'd essentially be giving him a $15.8 million contract for 2016. Which [i']is[/i] big bucks for a reliever.

Because they knew that Wieters would accept his, and they didn't want to pay for both ???

I hope that is not true. If they knew he would accept and still offered it....that would be idiotic.

I gotta believe that they were not expecting MW to accept. I pray that they were not.

These two statements are contradictory. If you gave O'Day the QO, you'd essentially be giving him a $15.8 million contract for 2016. Which is big bucks for a reliever.

There's about an 80% chance O'Day takes that deal. Our offseason would be over if we had given him a QO.

The team that signs Darren O'Day to a free agent contract will be bringing on board more than a capable reliever. They will also be adding a cerebral reliever. Knowing the sidewinder’s reputation, I asked him what he’d been mulling in his mind.

"There are a lot of things that make baseball beautiful that most people don’t see," O’Day told me in September. "If you had access to someone like Buck Showalter and the little things he’s thinking about during a game, it would blow your mind. He notices things that most fans don’t."

O'Day notices things as well, including subtle movement in the batter’s box.

"Earlier this year, Oliver Drake got Josh Donaldson out on a splitter," recalled the righty. "He’s got a plus splitter and he got Donaldson to swing at a few of them in the dirt. The next day, he got him to swing at another one in the dirt. Before the second pitch of the at bat, Donaldson scooted up about a foot in the box. Drake threw him the same split, down in the zone, and Donaldson hit it up the middle for a single. Little things like that, that most people miss. That’s what I’ve thinking about."

Cerebral.

O'Day has reached the point where he just won't fit in our budget. We need to find the next O'Day, or someone who can roughly approximate his value. Let somebody else pay $12 million per year for a setup guy.
No one's paying him 12 M. They might give him 4 years. I'd say the Gnats give him 4/30. He wants to stay in the area because his wife works in DC for Fox Sports. I think if the O's come close to his best offer he will stay.

Archived