Why didn't O'Day get a QO

Catch 8

I

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying here Weams. Darren's pitching style is very easy on the arm and unique enough that he is hard to pick up even when players have seen him multiple tines due to arm slot, pitch movement etc,

I think he can pitch effectively a lot longer than the very arm throwers.

Easy on the arm? I think you better take a closer look. I have seen slow motion gifs of his delivery and it hurts just to watch it.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easy on the arm? I think you better take a closer look. I have seen slow motion gifs of his delivery and it hurts just to watch it.

You'd really have to screw up a side-arm delivery to make it harder on the arm than throwing overhand. And given that he's stayed healthy year after year - It's hard to make the case that his delivery is a problem.

I

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying here Weams. Darren's pitching style is very easy on the arm and unique enough that he is hard to pick up even when players have seen him multiple tines due to arm slot, pitch movement etc,

I think he can pitch effectively a lot longer than the very arm throwers.

I'm the lyrical Jesse James.

You'd really have to screw up a side-arm delivery to make it harder on the arm than throwing overhand. And given that he's stayed healthy year after year - It's hard to make the case that his delivery is a problem.

He's had hip problems, and he had hip labrum surgery and resurfacing. That's how we got him.

He will sign for 3/25 or 4/30. And the Orioles would never have been interested beyond the Gregerson level. That's why he has no QO. The Orioles treat Qualifying offers like they are a real thing.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a little more than that in dollars per year, because he is a legit closer option, and if he's used as a setup man, he's as good as it gets in inducing double plays.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a little more than that in dollars per year, because he is a legit closer option, and if he's used as a setup man, he's as good as it gets in inducing double plays.

Andrew Miller was 4/36. Do you think O'Day compares?

That's 5 years ago - ancient history - and no problems since. 1 injury in 7 years. I'll take that.

Every year he has had a time that a hip issue has been mentioned towards the end of the year. And around the time he starts giving up homers.

Andrew Miller was 4/36. Do you think O'Day compares?

I do think he's going to come close to that, yes. Higher fWAR over the last three years (and far higher on bWAR). He seems quietly dominant but of course quite a few GMs noticed how tough it's been to hit him. I would love to see him back in orange, but the hip worries me a bit too, it always seems to resurface in the second half. I hope he gets a great deal. He seems like a great guy and teammate and it's been an honor to have him pitch for us.

Maybe the Dodgers will seal the deal by letting him ride his Solowheel out to the mound.

I do think he's going to come close to that, yes. Higher fWAR over the last three years (and far higher on bWAR). He seems quietly dominant but of course quite a few GMs noticed how tough it's been to hit him. I would love to see him back in orange, but the hip worries me a bit too, it always seems to resurface in the second half. I hope he gets a great deal. He seems like a great guy and teammate and it's been an honor to have him pitch for us.

Maybe the Dodgers will seal the deal by letting him ride his Solowheel out to the mound.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think scouts and most GMs view a sidearmer who throws 83 mph differently than a guy who throws almost 100 and strikes out 40% of opposing batters. What's the best contract a guy with a weird delivery ever received? I love guys who succeed doing unusual stuff, but even I have this little voice in the back of my head that says most or maybe almost all submariners are great until that year they suck and are suddenly out of baseball. I think there's a market adjustment there.

Every year he has had a time that a hip issue has been mentioned towards the end of the year. And around the time he starts giving up homers.

All 5 of his homeruns last year were given up at home in basically the same number of innings pitched home and road. 4 of the 5 in the 1st half of the season. In 2014 4 of his 6 homeruns were given up at home. On balance, it is a hitters park. O'Day's ERA over the past 2 years is over a run better on the road than at Camden Yards. He's worth the money to someone else, by leaps and bounds

Not saying it is worse then an overhand delivery, just saying to hurts me to watch him pitch in slow motion. My arm can't do that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XJDwpXClOL4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archived