Pedro Alvarez?

MurphDogg

Heyman article says the Pirates are trying to trade him . I believe that. No team is probably giving them very much because they know the Pirates don't want his defense on the field and the Pirates can't DH him. Teams probably don't want to pay 8-10m per year for him in arbitration.

However once he is non tendered he becomes a free agent and Boras is going to look at him like he looked a Morales last year. Boras will squeeze out every nickel.

I guess we will see, but it doesn't make sense to me that a team would pay in the neighborhood of 3?$20 million when they can get him for a C prospect at 1/$8.1 million (MLBTR projection).

Alvarez's value is entirely wrapped up in one scenario:

Trade very little for him, give him 500+ AB, have him hit 40 dingers and drive in 80+, offer him a QO and let him walk.

You can't put him in the field. He doesn't offer much beyond power and even that is a little misplaced as you can't put him in the middle of your line up.

He could provide entertainment potential in that he could be the first player to hit the warehouse on the fly. He is a pull hitter and has hit at least 3 balls into the water in PNC (roughly the same distance to the warehouse, ~465 feet.) He might have more power than Chris Davis if that is possible.

Alvarez's value is entirely wrapped up in one scenario:

Trade very little for him, give him 500+ AB, have him hit 40 dingers and drive in 80+, offer him a QO and let him walk.

You can't put him in the field. He doesn't offer much beyond power and even that is a little misplaced as you can't put him in the middle of your line up.

I would think he is purely insurance if we weren't able to retain Crush. And if we aren't, I'm not terribly upset with Pedro being the LH replacement. Depending on price of aquisition of c

He could provide entertainment potential in that he could be the first player to hit the warehouse on the fly. He is a pull hitter and has hit at least 3 balls into the water in PNC (roughly the same distance to the warehouse, ~465 feet.) He might have more power than Chris Davis if that is possible.

Is he a target even if Crush is in the fold? Or just purely a backup plan?

Zero percent chance they non tender Walker.

Well, then Alvarez will be available. Because I agree the Pirates aren't spending the money on both players. The question is: do the Orioles need a DH only player in Alvarez with platoon splits taking up a spot on the roster.

Wait, I think we have an answer.

Archived