Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

That's a lot of money to pay to your bullpen (including what Zach will get). Especially for a team with such a limited budget.

The budget isn't that limited and the team can recoup a good portion of O'Day's contract by letting go of Brian Matusz and finding a cheaper LH option. The next highest paid reliever will be Brad Brach at, say $1.2 M after arbitration. Everyone else is minimum salary, unless Dylan Bundy starts in the pen.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The budget isn't that limited and the team can recoup a good portion of O'Day's contract by letting go of Brian Matusz and finding a cheaper LH option. The next highest paid reliever will be Brad Brach at, say $1.2 M after arbitration. Everyone else is minimum salary, unless Dylan Bundy starts in the pen.
Good plan.

Probably not -- and I do think some team will. Just not a team with our budget and other holes to fill.

let Brian go, and I am not against the guy, but use his money to keep O'Day, and fill Brian's spot with a young "cheap" arm.

With Bach, O'Day and Britton, you have one of the better trios in the major leagues.

Matusz is gone anyway. To sign O'Day you're taking money away from starting pitching, corner of, 1B and DH. We have greater needs. Give Givens and Drake a chance at a higher leverage role. No guarantee O'DAY stays healthy into his mid 30's either

While I generally agree with this, the counterpoint is: where would the 2015 team be with a downgraded bullpen? O'Day has been awfully reliable for us and I certainly think whoever replaces him will likely cost us some games as compared to O'Day. 1.92 ERA, 0.94 WHIP in four years as an Oriole. The guy has been truly outstanding. I'll really miss him.

While I generally agree with this, the counterpoint is: where would the 2015 team be with a downgraded bullpen? O'Day has been awfully reliable for us and I certainly think whoever replaces him will likely cost us some games as compared to O'Day. 1.92 ERA, 0.94 WHIP in four years as an Oriole. The guy has been truly outstanding. I'll really miss him.

I think they would miss the playoffs.

Darren O'Day by pWAR, 2009-2015

2009 - 2.4

2010 - 2.3

2011 - 0.0 (hurt)

2012 - 2.5 (first year in Baltimore)

2013 - 2.0

2014 - 2.3

2015 - 2.4 (and counting)

---------

career - 13.9

That's very good for a reliever. He has about half the career of Kent Tekulve, in less than half the time.

You take a hit the pen because that is the one area where the O's have in house options. Will the 2016 Givens replace the 2015 O'Day? Probably not but the 2016 Givens might not be that far off the 2016 O'Day. There is certainly no guarantee that O'Day's next 3 years are like his last four years and there is no reason for the Orioles to pay him like that when the funds are better used elsewhere where we have no in house options. O'Day was claimed on waivers. Brach was gotten for very little. The O's can uses Wright in the bullpen. Time to find the next Brach and O'Day, not to pay the current one. They screwed up by tendering Hunter and Matusz, although Matusz actually pitched pretty well. That's 7-8M that could have been used better. O'Day is a good bet to be good again next year but even if he's good for the next 3-4 years it's the right move to let another team spend on him.

I am totally opposed to giving big bucks to someone else's FAs (see Sherzer, Hamilton, Pujols, Panda, the list goes on and on), but I am totally for giving it to your own FAs, if they deserve it. This kind of cheap, revolving door mentality does not foster continuity, makes your players worry about their next team, and will never bring a championship.

I am totally opposed to giving big bucks to someone else's FAs (see Sherzer, Hamilton, Pujols, Panda, the list goes on and on), but I am totally for giving it to your own FAs, if they deserve it. This kind of cheap, revolving door mentality does not foster continuity, makes your players worry about their next team, and will never bring a championship.
Amen!!! Hallelujah!! I've been saying this for months but it seems that the players-are-replaceable-machine-parts people seemed to be drowning me out. Despite what the budget nay-sayers contend, Angelos can afford to bring back our deserving FAs. With a certain amount of team continuity, the O's can contend for championships.

Amen!!! Hallelujah!! I've been saying this for months but it seems that the players-are-replaceable-machine-parts people seemed to be drowning me out. Despite what the budget nay-sayers contend, Angelos can afford to bring back our deserving FAs. With a certain amount of team continuity, the O's can contend for championships.

No one is saying he can not afford it.

We are just realistic and understand that part of owning a team is using it to generate income.

While I like this from a team morale point of view, sometimes the needs of the team dictate that the big money should be spent filling a critical hole in the team rather than rewarding a player who is good but who is replaceable internally at less cost.

Archived