Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't - at least not necessarily. Considering Britton is much younger and cheaper for this season (even aside from him being the closer), he's probably got more trade value.

I don't think Dan weakens the team at the ML level.

I'm not sure who might be a good fit that could step in and help (an equivalent amount) from day 1.

According to Cot's our OD payroll has gone like this.

2012 84M

2013 92M

2014 107M

2015 118M

If you are the optimistic sort, you can hope/expect for a 130M payroll to start the season. Even with a 130M payroll there is not enough room to sign both a stud hitter and significant FA pitcher. More likely, you are going to get an Alvarez for 5-8M on a one year contract and, at best, a Kazmir type. That would still leave holes in LF and RF but it looks like Nolan Reimold has a good chance to be one of those. That would still be a 130M team which is no better and quite possibly worse than the one that finished at .500 last year. A playoff run would still need a few of the following to happen.

1. Relatively good health

2. A breakout by Gausman

3. Return to form by at least one of Tillman and Gonzalez.

4. Rebound by Hardy

5. Nothing worse than what Ubaldo did this year.

The other possibility is that the 2016 payroll could see a one-year boost, and then a retraction after that point, as guys like Wieters and Trumbo come off the books.

I don't - at least not necessarily. Considering Britton is much younger and cheaper for this season (even aside from him being the closer), he's probably got more trade value.

I would argue that Britton is way more valuable to us then the players DD could get in return. The only way you trade him is if were rebuilding.

I don't think many non-tenders get three year contracts. He could be had for one year.

Right, not many. However Pedro is 28 yr/old with 30 homer potential, is a Boras client and both the Indians and O's are interested in him. Don't underestimate Pedro/Boras.

I would argue that Britton is way more valuable to us then the players DD could get in return. The only way you trade him is if were rebuilding.

Today's GM process is far removed from a simple dichotomy of either "contending" or "rebuilding". It is more akin to remodeling.

If DD gets an offer that includes more value in return, whether it be short or long term, then I believe he trades Britton and still tries to win in 2016 by switching O'Day to closer, for example. But, any movehas to be in the context of trying to be competitive each year and what other players are contributing to that goal. And not just thinking rebuild versus contending.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today's GM process is far removed from a simple dichotomy of either "contending" or "rebuilding". It is more akin to remodeling.

If DD gets an offer that includes more value in return, whether it be short or long term, then I believe he trades Britton and still tries to win in 2016 by switching O'Day to closer, for example. But, any movehas to be in the context of trying to be competitive each year and what other players are contributing to that goal. And not just thinking rebuild versus contending.

I think Dan is a lot more worried about 2016 then he is 2018.

I think Dan is a lot more worried about 2016 then he is 2018.

Probably. And he inherited a much better team than Andy Macphail did. But I think it is more degrees than absolutes. He wants to win now because he objectively believes they can, but he knows how that can turn on you if not thinking about the future at the same time.

Probably. And he inherited a much better team than Andy Macphail did. But I think it is more degrees than absolutes. He wants to win now because he objectively believes they can, but he knows how that can turn on you if not thinking about the future at the same time.

I disagree.

I think he desperately wants a ring and will willingly sacrifice the future for the now.

I disagree.

I think he desperately wants a ring and will willingly sacrifice the future for the now.

Hard to see how that gets him work after 2018 if he is widely seen as jeopardizing the team's future. Maybe he plans on retiring. Or he could win a WS between now and 2018. If that happens, I, for one, will deal with the bad after 2018.

Hard to see how that gets him work after 2018 if he is widely seen as jeopardizing the team's future. Maybe he plans on retiring. Or he could win a WS between now and 2018. If that happens, I, for one, will deal with the bad after 2018.

Look at his moves.

The Parra move for instance was desperation to save the 2015 season. There is no way he was thinking long term when he did it. Same when he painted himself into a corner and had to sell a draft pick.

Archived