Could Cliff Lee be our Lefty?

mdbdotcom

Hey, there's some chance he could rise to the level of Kevin Millwood.

Excellent comparisons. The only difference is: Over his three years before signing here, Drabek pitched to ERA's of 4.77, 4.57 and 5.74. Millwood's three seasons before joining the Orioles, he pitched to ERAs of 5.06, 5.17, 3.67.

Buerhle just turned in three seasons of 4.15, 3.39, and 3.81.

Chen just closed out three seasons of 4.07, 3.54 and 3.34.

I think Buerhle is a lot closer to Chen than the other two guys.

Also, I thought the Millwood signing was pretty shrewd at the time... for the record. :)

All of that said, it doesn't appear that he will truly enter the FA market. But dang. I would have loved to see him here for a year or two, pumping out 200 innings of sub-4 ERA ball from the left side.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan was quoted about the Red Cross Brigade or something like that. Starters who had rehabbed and needed a chance to pitch. Lee could be deep depth. A cheap gamble that could pay off big time.

Well, I have no idea what he's looking for in salary but I think so. He doesn't need the money and he has a better track record of success than Latos. Of course, Lee is 37 and Latos is 28 so there's that.

I had his numbers wrong, though. I was looking at FIP which was 2.96, his ERA was 3.65 on lousy Philly team, still pretty good.

Well, I have no idea what he's looking for in salary but I think so. He doesn't need the money and he has a better track record of success than Latos. Of course, Lee is 37 and Latos is 28 so there's that.

I had his numbers wrong, though. I was looking at FIP which was 2.96, his ERA was 3.65 on lousy Philly team, still pretty good.

Still don't think he'd be a good bet due to the arm. Someone is bound to get injured this year, and I pray it's not Cliff if we sign him

Neither Latos or Lee will be cheap. Just not long term.

If we signed Lee or Latos on a 1 year deal we'd still have to ideally bring in one more SP on a milb deal. Lack of SP depth killed us last year. We have really good depth at every position right now except SP options. Ideally we'd have:

Gausman

Ubaldo

Tillman

Gonzo

Lee/Latos

Worley-in mlb BP

Bundy-in mlb BP(if healthy)

FA SP-in AAA(like Guthrie, E.Jackson, Harang etc...)

Wilson-in AAA

Wright-in AAA

C.Jones-in AAA

If we signed Lee or Latos on a 1 year deal we'd still have to ideally bring in one more SP on a milb deal. Lack of SP depth killed us last year. We have really good depth at every position right now except SP options. Ideally we'd have:

Gausman

Ubaldo

Tillman

Gonzo

Lee/Latos

Worley-in mlb BP

Bundy-in mlb BP(if healthy)

FA SP-in AAA(like Guthrie, E.Jackson, Harang etc...)

Wilson-in AAA

Wright-in AAA

C.Jones-in AAA

Lee is under contract to the Phillies for 12.5 million, 2016.

Vinny on 105.7 predicted it would be very difficult for any team to take a flyer on a 12 million dollar contract for Lee.

Too much money for your normal red cross signing.

I guess so if you think he's totally done, but he did put up 1.9 fWAR in only 13 starts last time out. I'd say he's worth the $12 million.

I guess so if you think he's totally done, but he did put up 1.9 fWAR in only 13 starts last time out. I'd say he's worth the $12 million.

I think its a complete and utter fantasy to believe that he would pass the Orioles physical.

My guess is whatever team signs him is gonna have a more flexible definition of passing a physical than the Orioles have. Think a team like Seattle who resigned Iwaskuma despite him failing the physical for the Dodgers.

I think its a complete and utter fantasy to believe that he would pass the Orioles physical.

My guess is whatever team signs him is gonna have a more flexible definition of passing a physical than the Orioles have. Think a team like Seattle who resigned Iwaskuma despite him failing the physical for the Dodgers.

While only seeking a 1 year deal. Lee is wanting guarantee contract money deal.

So suitors pony up the bank coffins.

Archived