Machado - how long should the O's wait to offer him the $$

Todd-O

Manny is on pace to be a free agent after the 2018 season.

I would be very surprised if the O's do not make a serious attempt to lock him up after next year.

IMO they should be doing it now.

I agree. I would lock him up now, but I have a feeling they will wait until after the 2016 season. If he has another top 5 MVP season, which is likely, that'll easily bump up his contract numbers.

Manny is on pace to be a free agent after the 2018 season.

I would be very surprised if the O's do not make a serious attempt to lock him up after next year.

IMO they should be doing it now.

I really see no point in Manny signing an extnesion the way the market is going. If you look at most of the guys that have done so they are loosing money and the way that salaries are going it is getting worse. IF you are confident in your abilty why not just wait it out. Look at guys like Longoria, Mcuthen, and Goldsmidcht they are all loosing money now. Heck even Adam Jones is a bargain.

I really see no point in Manny signing an extnesion the way the market is going. If you look at most of the guys that have done so they are loosing money and the way that salaries are going it is getting worse. IF you are confident in your abilty why not just wait it out. Look at guys like Longoria, Mcuthen, and Goldsmidcht they are all loosing money now. Heck even Adam Jones is a bargain.

Ability is not the question, it's health. Having had multiple knee surgeries, he has at least some incentive to take guaranteed money in exchange for at least a slight discount. If we buy out his arb years and add a couple of years, he could guarantee himself $50M+ while still hittin the market at Age 28 for a monster pay day. As much as his ability is proven, he still has huge downside risk where a major injury could have him out of baseball with less than $5M earned. THen again, most of these guys think they are invincible.

Apparently they came close two years ago. I think it will be approached at arbitration time. They probably don't want to go to arbitration with him, so they could offer some sort of extension.

I agree, that's the likely timing. I'd love to know what terms were offered and demanded two years ago.

This is why I'm not too invested in the Davis outcome one way or the other, and maybe am even secretly hoping it doesn't work out on the belief that no Davis means a greater focus on Manny this offseason.

It'll be an even more treacherous negotiating position next offseason if Davis collects $22M than Manny has a 2016 two or three times as good as him.

Agree. He's a 250-300 million dollar player. The Orioles simply cannot do that.

Of course they can. If the Marlins can pay $325 mm to Stanton, and the Diamondbacks can pay $34 mm/yr to Greinke, then we can pony up for Manny. It will simply limit the other things we can do.

Archived