Angelos and Money Thread (Here Be Monsters!)

Pickles

Not at all. You can be dissatisfied with Peter Angelos. You probably should be. As I have said, I don't find any of those team owners to be particularly great folk.

I think he's done a laundry list of great civic things for Baltimore city.

But he's a terrible, terrible baseball owner.

And this team will never have sustained success under his ownership.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think what he really does is set up a wall that forces his GMs to get approval for any budget decision over a certain amount. I think Dan has fairly free reign until he wants to drop 9 figures on Chris Davis. And then Angelos takes a much, much larger role. Making calls to the agent himself, etc.
I doubt this would be any different with most ownership when it comes to 9 figures. Really these year arguments over what we can't possibly know are tedious. Some people think PA is Scrooge McDuck and some St. Peter, and never the twain shall meet.

Keep making comparisons to 2000 when they aren't even slightly appropriate.

Your point about profits is myopic. It isn't just about future profits. The dispute goes back to funds the Nationals thought they deserved from what are now past years. I would guess PGA was concerned he would have to pay additional money for past years. I would have been. And I would have taken reserves in my budget to cover that to mitigate risk.

I truly can't believe you think making payrolls comparisons to 2000 is apropos. I have a cert in appraisal and you'd be laughed out of an arbitration, mediation, or court if you tried to use this comparison. It is ludicrous on its face. A WHOLE NEW TEAM IS NOW IN THE SAME EXACT SPACE THAT EXISTED BEFORE THEY ARRIVED. Of course it isn't apples to apples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes or no:

Are the O's making more money in TV rights than they were 15 years ago? Are they getting more shared money from MLB than they were 15 years ago?

Is that new money cancelled out by the loss of 1/2 a million fans they're losing to the Nats annually?

Yes or no:

Are the O's making more money in TV rights than they were 15 years ago? Are they getting more shared money from MLB than they were 15 years ago?

Is that new money cancelled out by the loss of 1/2 a million fans they're losing to the Nats annually?

This figure is low.

I doubt this would be any different with most ownership when it comes to 9 figures. Really these year arguments over what we can't possibly know are tedious. Some people think PA is Scrooge McDuck and some St. Peter, and never the twain shall meet.

He's probably neither. And probably has had aspects of both at different times in his life.

This figure is low.

Maybe.

They drew 2.6 the year before the Nats showed up. And then 2.1 the next year.

They're back to 2.2 this last year, w a post Nats high mark of 2.4.

What's hurt their attendance more than the Nats is losing a generation of fans to 14 years of ineptitude. And that's all on Angelos.

You don't think attendance would have dropped anyhow because of six straight 90 loss or above seasons? Attendance was up 700,000 last year from the 2010 season.

Here is the answer. Punt the Nationals. Sell the rights to the entire market to Fox. Spend 33% of the total on the players for five years. Have a couple chances to win a World Series. .

You don't think attendance would have dropped anyhow because of six straight 90 loss or above seasons? Attendance was up 700,000 last year from the 2010 season.

Just saying that I have no doubt that the Orioles were drawing a lot more than 500.000 fans per season from the DC metro.

A Forbes reporter was on the radio a year or so ago,said that Angelos is making more money now then in the early 2000"s. He said he was not in good shape financially in early 2000. Is he right?

Hmm... I thought I read the exact opposite and his law firm has had reduced revenues and had some layoffs. I am married, though, so I could be wrong on that.

Archived