Dan's Lap

Ven6

To be fair, what the heck happened to De Aza? He looked great after we traded for him. Then played pretty darn good for the sox and dodgers. De Aza should have worked out. Then we wouldn't have had to go through the OF carousel and trade for Parra. From what I saw De Aza had his own agenda in his contract year. He was trying to hit HR's and then was forcing SB's to put up some arbitrary number like 15-15 or 20-20.

I think you're inventing a narrative to fit the facts. I think he slumped at the wrong time.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of us wanted to cut him loose last offseason.

I was one of those. But once he was here it's easy to get pulled into the narrative that his true talent changed faster than was reasonable. They were looking for a .700 OPS guy to stop the hemmoraging, and they released that very guy because two months of a slump got taken for a change in talent level. The urge to do something is strong, even if logic says the best course is to continue on.

Gordon at 4/72. Prices are dropping. MLBTraderumors projected him at 5/100. That's 30% discount.

That's one way to look at it, I guess. But he can still get a substantial contract for that 5th year if he is playing decently at age 35.

To be fair, what the heck happened to De Aza? He looked great after we traded for him. Then played pretty darn good for the sox and dodgers. De Aza should have worked out. Then we wouldn't have had to go through the OF carousel and trade for Parra. From what I saw De Aza had his own agenda in his contract year. He was trying to hit HR's and then was forcing SB's to put up some arbitrary number like 15-15 or 20-20.

To be fair, I don't think BS was to terribly fond of DeAza. He said some pretty unBS things about De Aza early on. Didn't he make some really poor base running errors and poor judgements on his outfield throws?? Then a pretty good slump sealed the deal.

To be fair, I don't think BS was to terribly fond of DeAza. He said some pretty unBS things about De Aza early on. Didn't he make some really poor base running errors and poor judgements on his outfield throws?? Then a pretty good slump sealed the deal.

I think it was telling they went to arbitration over essentially pocket change for a MLB club.

Gordon at 4/72. Prices are dropping. MLBTraderumors projected him at 5/100. That's 30% discount.

Its a 4/68 with a 23MM option and 4MM buyout...if the option kicks in it's 5/91.. AAV is about a 20% discount. if it was 3/72 would you consider that a discount

Its a 4/68 with a 23MM option and 4MM buyout...if the option kicks in it's 5/91.. AAV is about a 20% discount. if it was 3/72 would you consider that a discount

An option is an option. Guaranteed dollars are the ones that matter now.

The problem here is more of Scott Boras than the players he represents. Ten of the waiting Free Agents are all in the Scott Boras stable.

Pedro Alvarez

Willie Bloomquist

Wei-Yin Chen

Chris Davis

Greg Holland

Austin Jackson

Ian Kennedy

Kyle Lohse

Alex Rios

Denard Span

I do not think Scott will bargain with the lower tier players until he cam establish the price for the upper tier.

Nothing wrong with bargain shopping--in fact it's hard to see how the O's can win without DD finding some surplus value in the lower-tier free agent market. Hopefully Hyun Soo Kim's deal will turn out to be a bargain, and even if the O's sign a high-priced hitter or pitcher, they will still need to bargain hunt for at least two other pieces (considering that they currently need two hitters and one starting pitcher).

But there are genuine bargains, and then there are players who are cheap only because they require you to surrender your first round pick, who are not really bargains at all. I worry that DD doesn't value draft picks enough to know the difference.

The problem here is more of Scott Boras than the players he represents. Ten of the waiting Free Agents are all in the Scott Boras stable.

Pedro Alvarez

Willie Bloomquist

Wei-Yin Chen

Chris Davis

Greg Holland

Austin Jackson

Ian Kennedy

Kyle Lohse

Alex Rios

Denard Span

I do not think Scott will bargain with the lower tier players until he cam establish the price for the upper tier.

The only name on that list that can possibly have the power to slow or stall FA signings and the market in general ain't Willie Bloomquist. It's CD.

Archived