Nice start by Olson

Sports Guy

I think that Aquino and Trax should be looking over their shoulder. Maybe the O's could drop them from the ML club, put JJ and Olson in a relief role, and Albers in the rotation?

I think we'll be looking to trade Trax again. Yeah, it'd be easiest to just release him, but I think MacPhail will try to get something back for him like he did last year.

But yeah, Aquino and Trax look to be the two to get replaced...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I don’t disagree that Mayo may provide more offensively but as we have seen time and time again, the jump from AAA to the majors is extremely tough on rookies. So off the bat, I expect him to slump pretty badly so now you are replacing a similar or worse bat with a much worse glove for, what? A month? No, I’m afraid Urias is the better option. Never forget that a run saved is equal to a run earned. Mayo knows what he needs to work on and what is keeping him down in AAA. His defense will improve.
    • I had this discussion on twitter yesterday. Forget the Mayo aspect of things for a moment. What do you do with Urias? Urias is a decent defensive player. He’s not a GGer and every year but 2022 saw him have a negative OAA. But he’s also not some well below average guy either.  He’s good enough, is how I would put it. He’s not hurting you. Offensively, he has an OPS+ of 103 in his over 1200 PA with the Os. Every year except 2023, he has had an OPS+ over 100 and in 2023, it was 98. This year, he has been awful with the bat but it’s also just 55 PA. Lots of guys look awful for 55 PA.  We have people clamoring for Hays and he has been awful for the last 320 PA. He has been worth just over a 4 fWAR for those 1200 PA..so basically, he has been a 2 WAR guy a year over a full season. Now, he is 30 years old and maybe the skills have erode but he did end the year fine last year, so it’s not like there were signs then. So what do you want to do with him?  Do you just want to DFa him in hopes you can trade him?  Do you want to lose him for free? Do you think that’s the best way to use your resources?
    • I wish they put Tyler Wells as a closer! He has a track...
    • Miller isn't the only reliever in the world. And any one player is no more than a piece of a contribution to a potential title. If the O's have a 8% chance at winning the Series right now (or 92% chance of not, which is actually very good), the addition of Miller and subtraction of whatever it takes to get him might make that 8.5%.
    • I thought he said after the game that he just lost his wind? I'm hoping he's not injured beyond that because he's been pretty decent in a limited role this season.
    • I disagree.  While Mayo may give up some baserunners and errors on defense, I feel that would be offset by what he brings with the bat.  Urias, on the other hand, has been good with the glove but is arguably costing us runs and baserunners with how bad he is hitting.  I think the overall impact of both of them would be about the same, just where they excel where they are questionable differ.  Overall impact on the team is likely a wash.  If so, I'd rather see the playing time go to the future, Mayo, and not the past, Urias.  
    • What if I told you that he's going to be an elite high-level reliever for three of the next five years, but also out with a torn UCL for 18 months, and sort of hurt/rehabbing/not very effective for the other six months? To me that's the mostly likely case, although the exact time periods could change.
  • Popular Contributors