TT: Something to consider when talking about Hyun Soo Kim

Tony-OH

Oh Kim is not going to sniff a starting lineup unless he really does something in ST. More than likely, Buck is going to firmly plant this guy on the bench and slowly work him in.

I don't think we signed him for $3.5 mm/yr with the idea that he was going to sit on the bench. Obviously we will see how he looks in spring training, but unless he flat out shows he can't play, I expect to see him get the majority of starts in LF for the first month or two of the season.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think we signed him for $3.5 mm/yr with the idea that he was going to sit on the bench. Obviously we will see how he looks in spring training, but unless he flat out shows he can't play, I expect to see him get the majority of starts in LF for the first month or two of the season.

I look forward to seeing how he plays, and how Brady has tuned him up.

The Pirates brought Kang along pretty slowly and I think he was the better of the two. Really highlights the need to add another outfielder. I don't think Navarro was added as an OF option. I think he was added first because he has an option. Tommy Medica, with better numbers, was available last week and was not added. Second as 1B depth in case of trade. Davis being signed freed up one of the Orioles most asked about trade chips, Mancini.

It's possible. I just think Buck knows this cat has no major league experience and is going to be highly skeptical. Maybe there's a thing in his contract where we get off the hook if he goes back to Korea. I just think it's going to be a slower process than simply having him start in LF right off the bat. I could be way off, though, and I hope he performs well.

Mainly, I think we have a group of outfielders that are all question marks. I think we can get by with LF being a committee, but RF to me has to be locked down by a proven commodity.

This is what Roch has quoted Buck:

Roch then asked what Buck knows about Korean outfielder Hyun-Soo Kim. Showalter replied “I’m going to surprised if this guy isn’t a contributor. He’s physical guy and I think you’re going to like what he does.

I've been posting about this for the past several weeks, but my comparison was with Yamaico Navarro (another ex-Oriole) who has hit 79 HRs and OPS'ed .975 the past two years in the KBO. Kim is just another waste of time and money in an offseason full of burning cash.

Did you think Kang was going to be a bust last year?

Me, I was in favor of looking at him in RF.

Buck knows as much about what Kim is going to do on the field as you or I do: diddly squat. Lol. Kim is going to have to prove himself in Spring Training - if he can't hit, we can't really use him. It's just hard to count on him winning a spot right now. Yes, we're paying him $3 million this year, but that does not guarantee him a spot. Look at how much we threw away last year on guys that were at one point proven major leaguers! $3 mil is a drop in the bucket for a chance to dabble in the Korean market and maybe come out on top.

I am thinking, you are off here. You mean, Buck hasn't seen the first game film or video clip of the guy?

I suspect he knows more than you and I do about Kim.

Again, IMO

I've been posting about this for the past several weeks, but my comparison was with Yamaico Navarro (another ex-Oriole) who has hit 79 HRs and OPS'ed .975 the past two years in the KBO. Kim is just another waste of time and money in an offseason full of burning cash.

There are obvious risks with Kim, but as always, you see everything in the most negative light possible. Obviously the Orioles didn't sign him just because he had good stats in the KBO. They saw him play in something like 20 games, and judged that his skills would translate to the major leagues. We will see if they are correct. We're all aware there are risks here.

Buck knows as much about what Kim is going to do on the field as you or I do: diddly squat. Lol. Kim is going to have to prove himself in Spring Training - if he can't hit, we can't really use him. It's just hard to count on him winning a spot right now. Yes, we're paying him $3 million this year, but that does not guarantee him a spot. Look at how much we threw away last year on guys that were at one point proven major leaguers! $3 mil is a drop in the bucket for a chance to dabble in the Korean market and maybe come out on top.

I think Buck has a lot more information on Kim than you or I do. I am sure they have internal projections and in depth scouting reports.

Well I hope so. Major League field is a Major League field, though, and we gonna see soon enough. To be clear, I like his chances. I just hope we're not counting on him manning LF full time.

If he doesn't pan out, I think DD has shown a willingness to DFA a player and bring in another body, as oppose to being stuck with them for the season, because they are under contract.

In Kim's case, they can option him quickly to AAA.

I've been posting about this for the past several weeks, but my comparison was with Yamaico Navarro (another ex-Oriole) who has hit 79 HRs and OPS'ed .975 the past two years in the KBO. Kim is just another waste of time and money in an off-season full of burning cash.

There are obvious risks with Kim, but as always, you see everything in the most negative light possible. Obviously the Orioles didn't sign him just because he had good stats in the KBO. They saw him play in something like 20 games, and judged that his skills would translate to the major leagues. We will see if they are correct. We're all aware that there are risks here.

Yes.

On the other end of the spectrum (in terms of seeing something), I remember when I was really excited when Jamie Moyer pitched 3 excellent games for AAA-Norfolk in 2012. In those 3 games, Moyer posted a 1.69 ERA, an 0.688 WHIP, and struck out 16 batters in 16 innings.

Duquette wasn't so quick to bring him up to the Orioles, though ...... he must have seen something that he did not like and/or that he was not so sure of. Duquette wanted him to have one more start for the AAA-Tides, Moyer declined and opted out, and was signed by the Blue Jays. He was assigned to their AAA-affiliate (Las Vegas), where he was bombed in 2 starts (8.18 ERA, 1.818 WHIP over 11 innings), and was released by the Blue Jays.

Well I hope so. Major League field is a Major League field, though, and we gonna see soon enough. To be clear, I like his chances. I just hope we're not counting on him manning LF full time.

By no means am I saying they know how he will do. Just that they have a lot more data available.

Archived