What if it is the Number 13 Pick?

weams

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/163105904/corey-dickerson-trade-upgrades-rays-options?partnerId=as_mlb_20160129_57753286&adbid=693093762973585408&adbpl=tw&adbpr=18479513

Tampa may give up their pick.

Seems like there's another move or two coming, maybe even a series of them that ends with the almost unthinkable: the signing of Ian Desmond, at the cost of the 13th pick in the Draft next June.

No source, just some guy's wishful thinking. I would be shocked if Tampa does this, given their market and organizational approach. They just gave up McGee for Dickerson to get a cheaper guy with more years of team control. It would make little sense to turn around and spend money and a pick on a second rate free agent.

No source, just some guy's wishful thinking. I would be shocked if Tampa does this, given their market and organizational approach. They just gave up McGee for Dickerson to get a cheaper guy with more years of team control. It would make little sense to turn around and spend money and a pick on a second rate free agent.

It will be cool if they do though. There is a bunch of smoke there on this idea.

If Tampa gets Ian and he bounces back, they could win the division with that pitching. Adding Dickerson and Desmond is impressive.

Seriously.

Over the past 4 seasons, Desmond has accumulated 15.1 fWAR --- which ranks him 30th among all position players, right behind two guys named Chris Davis (28th; 15.5 fWAR) and Yoenis Cespedes (29th; 15.4 fWAR). In that same period of time, he's got 12.9 rWAR --- which ranks him 52nd among all position players, right in front of a guy named Justin Upton (53rd; 12.9 rWAR).

From 2012-2014, there were maybe 20-30 more valuable players in the league. Sure, he slumped last season with free agency hanging over his head (after turning down the big extension and ramping up the pressure about 1000fold). But because of the slump and the pick compensation, the price is going to be WAY down from where you ever could have dreamed of getting him this time last year.

Personally, I think it's a very good gamble for any team, even a small-market outfit like TB. Hope he doesn't end up there. If the Orioles could somehow find a taker for Hardy, I'd suggest they would be wise to get in on Desmond too.

Seriously.

Over the past 4 seasons, Desmond has accumulated 15.1 fWAR --- which ranks him 30th among all position players, right behind two guys named Chris Davis (28th; 15.5 fWAR) and Yoenis Cespedes (29th; 15.4 fWAR). In that same period of time, he's got 12.9 rWAR --- which ranks him 52nd among all position players, right in front of a guy named Justin Upton (53rd; 12.9 rWAR).

From 2012-2014, there were maybe 20-30 more valuable players in the league. Sure, he slumped last season with free agency hanging over his head (after turning down the big extension and ramping up the pressure about 1000fold). But because of the slump and the pick compensation, the price is going to be WAY down from where you ever could have dreamed of getting him this time last year.

Personally, I think it's a very good gamble for any team, even a small-market outfit like TB. Hope he doesn't end up there. If the Orioles could somehow find a taker for Hardy, I'd suggest they would be wise to get in on Desmond too.

I doubt the Orioles find a taker for Hardy.They would have to eat some of his salary. Desmond nakes errors and can't hit in Aoril.I think he put pressure on himself because of his free agency

I doubt the Orioles find a taker for Hardy.They would have to eat some of his salary. Desmond nakes errors and can't hit in Aoril.I think he put pressure on himself because of his free agency

Oh, I agree, it's not going to happen here. I was just trying to illustrate that I thought buying low on Desmond was a good opportunity for any team, even us if we cleared a place for him.

Archived