Orioles Sign Raffy Palmeiro's Son

weams

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/blog/orioles-talk/orioles-sign-rafael-palmeiros-son

In Baseball America's most recent list of minor league signings, they reported that Palmeiro's son, Patrick, has been signed to a minor league contract by the Orioles.

Patrick Palmeiro, the 25-year-old son of the polarizing Orioles first baseman, played three seasons in the Chicago White Sox organization, never rising above low A ball. He was a 22nd round pick of the Pittsburgh Pirates - in 2008, but went to college instead.

The Orioles signed third baseman Patrick Palmeiro to a minor league contract, according to Baseball America's transactions page. He's the son of former All-Star first baseman Rafael Palmeiro, a member of the exclusive 3,000-hit, 500-home run club.

Patrick Palmeiro turns 26 in March. A former 22nd-round pick of the Pirates in the 2008 draft, he spent last summer with the independent Sugar Land Skeeters and batted .256/.315/.404 with 28 doubles, 13 home runs and 68 RBIs in 128 games.

Palmeiro spent the previous three years in the White Sox organization, never advancing beyond low Single-A and batting .207/.227/.277 in 190 games. He also plays first base and left field.

Father and son played one game together for Sugar Land in September, with the former major leaguer going 2-for-4 with an RBI.

Rafael Palmeiro hit 223 of his 569 home runs with the Orioles. He was suspended for 10 games of the 2005 season for violating its Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program and dropped off the Hall of Fame ballot in 2014 in his fourth year of eligibility.

Roch Kubatko masnsports.com

25 years old and never rising about low A ball?

For the life of me, I can't figure this out.

Drungo, isn't this where you come in, with your facts? :):):)

All I know about him is his stat line from Sugar Land last year. Assuming he's going to be an org guy to fill out Bowie or Frederick's roster. Gotta have enough bodies to play 140 games, and they ain't all prospects.

All I know about him is his stat line from Sugar Land last year. Assuming he's going to be an org guy to fill out Bowie or Frederick's roster. Gotta have enough bodies to play 140 games, and they ain't all prospects.

His brother is. And it might not be a bad venture to circle the family.

Minor league filler and a cool story for Delmarva or Frederick to write about. That's about it.

As far as filler goes, this seems like a bit of a benefit to the affiliates. No more expensive than any other non-prospect player and there may be some marginal increase in interest/tickets sold.

Archived