Rotographs: Gallardo and Orioles Pitching Time Battles

weams

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/how-would-yovani-gallardo-affect-orioles-pitcher-playing-time-battles/

It would certainly seem that the Orioles view themselves as contenders, as they would need to sacrifice the 14th overall pick in this year?s draft to sign Gallardo, because he declined the Rangers? qualifying offer. Why else would a team coming off a .500 season in a highly competitive division cough up a top-15 pick and ~$15 million a year for a solid ? yet unspectacular ? mid-rotation arm? Especially when that organization possesses an already-depleted farm system?

If we run with the Orioles? own apparent assumption that they are indeed a contender ? which requires some squinting, of course ? it does make some sense. The signing of Gallardo would send Baltimore into Opening Day with a set rotation composed entirely of established major-league-caliber starters: Ubaldo Jimenez (265 career starts), Chris Tillman (149), Miguel Gonzalez (95) and Kevin Gausman (42). Adding Gallardo?s 244 career starts would give Baltimore a highly experienced rotation from top to bottom.

None of them are more than mid-rotation arms at this point in their respective careers, but five mid-rotation starters is still more than a whole lot of clubs can claim. Furthermore, when we take a look at the uncertainty regarding the back end of the rotation without Gallardo, the club?s salivating desire for his services comes into focus a bit. That?s not to say that I think it?s a great idea, but it works within the hypothetical context of the Orioles being a title contender.

Thanks for the link.

This piece says to me that the author was thinking, "do I haaaaave to write about the Orioles?" Nonetheless he and I share the same feelings here:

The biggest benefit of Gallardo to the Orioles might be the simple fact that he prevents these other guys from taking the ball every fifth day. That?s not exactly the type of guy I would be willing to part with a top-15 pick and $40-45 million to acquire, but it?s something.

Should we go ahead and also add the piece on Fowler's defense to this thread?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/questioning-dexter-fowlers-defensive-improvement/

DEXTER-FOWLER-UZR-2011-2015-e1455301151545.png

DEXTER-FOWLER-DEFENSIVE-RUNS-SAVED-2011-2015-e1455303486273.png

He is an average to above-average player who play below-average defense in center field. That is incredibly valuable, and if the rumors of a two year, $20 million contract are true, any number of teams should jump at the opportunity even with the loss of a draft pick. Long term, there are probably concerns about Fowler’s ability to stick in center field, and his arm might make left field the only realistic possibility in the future.

Hows does Fowler's defense translate to a corner outfield spot?

Especially compared to the pile of 'what ifs' likely to play defense without him. D Alvarez may be decent in RF but Fowler is superior to Reimold/Kim/Trumbo/etc.

Hows does Fowler's defense translate to a corner outfield spot?

Especially compared to the pile of 'what ifs' likely to play defense without him. D Alvarez may be decent in RF but Fowler is superior to Reimold/Kim/Trumbo/etc.

Hard to tell, some guys make the transition and do very well and some have issues with reading the ball.

They didn't seem to think his arm would play well over there.

Hard to tell, some guys make the transition and do very well and some have issues with reading the ball.

They didn't seem to think his arm would play well over there.

The UZR ratings for his arm, when broken down into categories, are consistently bad. However, that doesn't tell us if it's an issue of arm strength, which can be mitigated by moving to LF, or accuracy, in which case there's probably no big difference wherever you put him.

This isn't a knock on the thread, but I mean how many times can different people express that signing Gallardo is a meh move? We get it, it's not a fantastic move.

It might be an alright one though.

Thanks for the link.

This piece says to me that the author was thinking, "do I haaaaave to write about the Orioles?" Nonetheless he and I share the same feelings here:

To be fair to the author, Rotographs is a fantasy baseball site, and all of the Orioles SP and Gallardo are almost entirely useless in fantasy baseball. The only one even on the map is Gausman, purely for his upside.

He also threw in a nice mention that the he thinks the Orioles are considerably better than Fangraphs' projected record for them and better than the Rays, so he's not unduly biased toward the Orioles by any means.

The UZR ratings for his arm, when broken down into categories, are consistently bad. However, that doesn't tell us if it's an issue of arm strength, which can be mitigated by moving to LF, or accuracy, in which case there's probably no big difference wherever you put him.

Evidently Kim also doesn't have the arm for right so that causes an issue.

Archived