Tommy Hunter Was a Yankee, But he failed his Physical

weams

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread makes me wonder, if Babe Ruth was reincarnated, would he pass his physical?

Probably not, since he'd be about 115 years old.

What interests me is how the Yankees kept this quiet until now. We never heard that they were even talking to Hunter, much less that they had agreed to terms or that Hunter was coming in for a physical. The news only leaked after Hunter signed elsewhere. How did the Yankees manage that? That's one reason they won't be ridiculed for dropping Hunter.

I don't know why folks are bringing up Tommy's weight, since there's no indication it relates to his injury. And as a reminder, he worked out with Brady for at least one offseason, and maybe more. He was a big guy but I never felt he had stamina issues.

What interests me is how the Yankees kept this quiet until now. We never heard that they were even talking to Hunter, much less that they had agreed to terms or that Hunter was coming in for a physical. The news only leaked after Hunter signed elsewhere. How did the Yankees manage that? That's one reason they won't be ridiculed for dropping Hunter.

I don't know why folks are bringing up Tommy's weight, since there's no indication it relates to his injury. And as a reminder, he worked out with Brady for at least one offseason, and maybe more. He was a big guy but I never felt he had stamina issues.

There was a funny story about this floating around somewhere a few years ago. I'll try to find it.

I agree, I wonder if, it had something to do with his recovering from surgery.

There was a funny story about this floating around somewhere a few years ago. I'll try to find it.

I think it originally comes from a question a reporter asked Ty Cobb, sometime in the 60's, about what he would hit if he played in th e modern era.

I think it originally comes from a question a reporter asked Ty Cobb, sometime in the 60's, about what he would hit if he played in th e modern era.

Yes. Cobb said, "I guess I'd hit about .280." The reporter followed up, "Wow. That's a big difference from what you hit in your day. Why do you think today's pitchers would hold you to .280?" Cobb replied "Because I'm 75 years old, you damned idiot!"

Yes. Cobb said, "I guess I'd hit about .280." The reporter followed up, "Wow. That's a big difference from what you hit in your day. Why do you think today's pitchers would hold you to .280?" Cobb replied "Because I'm 75 years old, you damned idiot!"

Was that an Al Stump story? Because Al Stump is the source for many Ty Cobb anecdotes, and he made up most of them.

Archived