Orioles Final Pick Order 27 First Pick

weams

I never said that they said they would spend more than their allotment.

Just that if they did it would be an example of them actually using the money not spent on the 14th pick in the international market.

I have never heard anywhere that the Orioles Front Office was even considering that. Did you?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems to be very evident that the Angelos family was taught by Andy MacPhail that spending millions of dollars on Dominican 16 year old was a poor risk to return. Also support of the buscon system was a horrible exploitation of children and poor families. I suspect that has not changed.

Link was broke. What are your thoughts spending over seas vice nationally? With the understanding balance is King.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It seems to be very evident that the Angelos family was taught by Andy MacPhail that spending millions of dollars on Dominican 16 year old was a poor risk to return. Also support of the buscon system was a horrible exploitation of children and poor families. I suspect that has not changed.

It looks to be killing the Dodgers, what with Urias, Peraza and Alvarez in their top 10.

Urias had a cup of coffee at AAA last year as an 18 year old.

It looks to be killing the Dodgers, what with Urias, Peraza and Alvarez in their top 10.

Urias had a cup of coffee at AAA last year as an 18 year old.

Evidently it works well with an unlimited font of money. They just write off the losers.

Link was broke. What are your thoughts spending over seas vice nationally? With the understanding balance is King.

http://americasquarterly.org/node/2745

I don't know enough about it to have a real personal opinion. I think that a draft is coming anyway. So nothing to get too worried about divining. I think international spending is healthy for a franchise. Andy MacPhail said that the whole Dominican system was crooked, rigged, and unhealthy.

I don't know enough about it to have a real personal opinion. I think that a draft is coming anyway. So nothing to get too worried about divining. I think international spending is healthy for a franchise. Andy MacPhail said that the whole Dominican system was crooked, rigged, and unhealthy.

Good for him not taking the utilitarian stance, but like Corn said that stance has not helped our results.

I don't care as long as they can play.

Oops, I mean, just look at it as a great chance to raise these kids, and their families, out of poverty.

I don't care as long as they can play.

Oops, I mean, just look at it as a great chance to raise these kids, and their families, out of poverty.

I am sure that if this CBA does not address the teenage international market, by making the children go to school through age 18 before they can go profession or a draft, then the Orioles will have to address their policy.

My point is they are saying (and Sir_loin has stated) that they are going to spend more in the international market since forfeited the #14 pick. The consequences for exceeding the spending cap is a lot less in the international market. If I recall correctly the Dodgers dropped over 20M last year, total, on the international market.

Despite their words I am expecting them to stay small time players. I am sure they will do a great job talking up the kids they sign, and maybe one will even pan out.

But they are not going to take the money from the 14th pick and plow it into the international market.

Here is exactly what Sir_Loin said:

Our draft class is rated low but that means we have graduated some players to the big leagues. We can restock through later rounds in the draft and the international draft which the O's plan to do.

I don't take that as very definitive information about what the O's will do regarding international spending.

Here is exactly what Sir_Loin said:

I don't take that as very definitive information about what the O's will do regarding international spending.

You ain't making up for a first round pick by being 28th of 30 teams in the International market.

If that is the plan they will have to ramp up spending.

I would say my definition of 'solid contributor' is more like a 2 WAR player each year over a span of at least 4 years on the big club.

My research indicated that the average team only produces a player like that approximately once every other year. If you produce two players like that in the same draft, you've really had an excellent draft.

Archived