Rob Manfred: Fours work better than Fives for scheduling

weams

In that case the driving distance would be long enough to where you would risk seriously diminishing the turnout from both. And why would the city fathers of both San Antonio and Austin spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium that would primarily benefit San Marcos, who probably wouldn't want it anyway?

Doesnt work that way. Globe Life Park and AT&T Stadium are both located in Arlington, TX. Dallas and Ft. Worth didn't pay for those stadiums...the city of Arlington did. But both teams are identified with the city of Dallas and people travel from all over the metroplex to attend games. Who benefits? The city of Arlington.

So whether it's San Marcos or some other stretch of land in the area, they would still draw fans from both major cities. I attend at least 30 Rangers games a year and I live almost an hour from Globe Life. They draw 30-40k per game and I can promise you they arent all Arlington residents

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, if it goes regional, and the NL goes away, what do you think the alignments would be?

All depends where they expand to. I would personally do Charlotte and Brooklyn, but let's assume they did Montreal and Austin as suggested in the thread.

If they did a 100% regional alignment, with no regard to history of league, the most natural to me seems:

AL

North TOR, DET, CLE, CIN

South MIA, TAM, ATL, HOU

East MON, BOS, NYY, NYM

West LAA, LAD, SDP, ARI

NL

North MIN, MIL, CHC, CHW

SouthTEX, HOU, KCR, STL

East BAL, WAS, PHI, PIT

West SFG, OAK, SEA, COL

But I think they will keep the leagues mostly intact, with maybe just a team or two switching leagues.

All depends where they expand to. I would personally do Charlotte and Brooklyn, but let's assume they did Montreal and Austin as suggested in the thread.

If they did a 100% regional alignment, with no regard to history of league, the most natural to me seems:

AL

North TOR, DET, CLE, CIN

South MIA, TAM, ATL, HOU

East MON, BOS, NYY, NYM

West LAA, LAD, SDP, ARI

NL

North MIN, MIL, CHC, CHW

SouthTEX, HOU, KCR, STL

East BAL, WAS, PHI, PIT

West SFG, OAK, SEA, COL

But I think they will keep the leagues mostly intact, with maybe just a team or two switching leagues.

It would depend on where the new teams are. I think most likely it would be AL North Baltimore, Boston, NY Yankees, Toronto. Which I really don't want to see.

AL

North TOR, DET, CLE, CIN

South MIA, TAM, ATL, HOU

East MON, BOS, NYY, NYM

West LAA, LAD, SDP, ARI

NL

North MIN, MIL, CHC, CHW

SouthTEX, HOU, KCR, STL

East BAL, WAS, PHI, PIT

West SFG, OAK, SEA, COL

What teams would switch though? If there was no difference between the two, then thats ok. If there is, I don't think teams like us switch over to a non DH league.

What teams would switch though? If there was no difference between the two, then thats ok. If there is, I don't think teams like us switch over to a non DH league.

Well, with the DH rule seemingly up for debate...maybe it's eliminated before MLB expands.

That is why I said get rid of the NL. Adopt a full DH policy, align for regional interest and fan-base travel, sell out every game. Profit.

Being as the two cities are so close, they could build a stadium in San Marcos and reap the rewards from both markets. Similar to if there was only one team in between Baltimore and DC

A stadium in SAN MARCOS????? That is not realistic. At all. Comparing the tightly packed populations of the east coast to the area between Austin and San Antonio is complete apples and oranges. MLB is not crazy enough to try that. San Marcos is a very pretty little Texas town on a beautiful little river. But there's nothing but an outlet mall or two for thirty miles.

A stadium in SAN MARCOS????? That is not realistic. At all. Comparing the tightly packed populations of the east coast to the area between Austin and San Antonio is complete apples and oranges. MLB is not crazy enough to try that. San Marcos is a very pretty little Texas town on a beautiful little river. But there's nothing but an outlet mall or two for thirty miles.

City Development. MLB could try and pass it off as that. Did it to Baltimore, thats how we got Camden Yards.

Archived