Ed Encina: Runners in Scoring Position and Situational Stuff

weams

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-rispy-business-putting-the-orioles-struggled-with-risp-in-perspective-20160229-story.html

AncrKIyq.jpg

Following Monday's workout, Orioles manager Buck Showalter tried to put that in perspective. The Orioles had the fewest plate opportunities with runners in scoring position (1,539), and they had the fourth-fewest strikeouts in those situations (281). The Orioles also had the fewest walks with runners in scoring position (123).

So even though the Orioles' batting average with runners in scoring position (.276) was comparatively good, they also manufactured fewer opportunities with runners in scoring position. By comparison, the Toronto Blue Jays had 1,629 plate appearances with runners in scoring position and Cubs had 1,626.

The Orioles hit 47 homers with runners in scoring position, which was the fifth most in baseball, but they scored only 476 runs with runners in scoring position, which ranked 19th out of 30 major league clubs.

The key is looking at the percentage of strikeouts the Orioles had with runners in scoring position. Some number crunching reveals that Orioles hitters struck out once every 4.82 plate appearances with runners in scoring position, which ranked 18th in baseball and 11th out of 15 teams in the AL.

The final paragraph (discussing strikeout percentage with RISP) is a total misdiagnosis of the problem. The second sentence of the first paragraph identifies the actual source of the problem (fewest RISP opportunities in the league).

The final paragraph (discussing strikeout percentage with RISP) is a total misdiagnosis of the problem. The second sentence of the first paragraph identifies the actual source of the problem (fewest RISP opportunities in the league).

I usually don't mind Encina's articles, but that could have been written by a middle school student.

Where have you gone Dan Connolly?

...which is due to poor OBP, #12 in the AL and #24 in MLB.

OK. So they need to get on base more. I think we all knew that already. If they ranked 30th in RISP opportunities, yet 19th in RISP runs scored, that does not indicate a failure to drive the runners home to me, but rather a failure to get on base.

OK. So they need to get on base more. I think we all knew that already. If they ranked 30th in RISP opportunities, yet 19th in RISP runs scored, that does not indicate a failure to drive the runners home to me, but rather a failure to get on base.

I wonder if he had just talked to the new assistant hitting coach before he wrote this?

Me, I would rather they strike out than make defensive contact if the force out is in play.

I wonder if he had just talked to the new assistant hitting coach before he wrote this?

Me, I would rather they strike out than make defensive contact if the force out is in play.

Whatevers. The Royals are champions of the world because they choke up and punch the ball every time they get two strikes.

Archived