Is the D-Rays line up better

baltimorebirds

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is amazing how much trouble this organization really is in and it is also amazing how the current regime actually believes this organization is in good shape.

Do they really think we can contend over the next few years?

I'm getting real close to being in complete "blow-it-up" mode. Everyone but Loewen, DCab and Markakis. Even Bedard, since he's so close to his peak performance.

Then again, they probably see that "elusive playoff berth" as not being far enough away to need to tear this team apart at this point.

And, depending on the moves they make (bold so that people might actually read it instead of ignoring it to jump all over the rest of what I will say), they might be right.

The problem is, they probably thought the same thing 2 years ago, 4 years ago, 6 years ago...

I'm getting real close to being in complete "blow-it-up" mode. Everyone but Loewen, DCab and Markakis. Even Bedard, since he's so close to his peak performance.

I think you're way ahead of the curve on this one, IS.

I'll predict that in a year or so (maybe less), the "trade Bedard" bandwagon will have as many riders as the "trade Tejada" bandwagon does now.

I'm giving them until the All Star break. If they're under .500 in July it's time to nuke it. Build around Cabrera and Markakis, but besides that strip it down to the foundation and start over.

I think you're way ahead of the curve on this one, IS.

I'll predict that in a year or so (maybe less), the "trade Bedard" bandwagon will have as many riders as the "trade Tejada" bandwagon does now.

I am on the trade Bedard bandwagon if we aren't going to give him a long term extension.

If we want and can sign him long term, then keep him.

What about Bedard and Loewen?

If you get a good enough return, maybe you even move them. I don't know.

It's all goofy speculation, though. If the O's made a series of blockbuster trades it would be the first time in decades. I'll be stunned, fall on the floor stunned, if they blew the team up in July no matter what the record.

If you get a good enough return, maybe you even move them. I don't know.

It's all goofy speculation, though. If the O's made a series of blockbuster trades it would be the first time in decades. I'll be stunned, fall on the floor stunned, if they blew the team up in July no matter what the record.

Well, don't you move DCab or Markakis if you get a good return?

I am on the trade Bedard bandwagon if we aren't going to give him a long term extension.

If we want and can sign him long term, then keep him.

Yeah, this is basically how I feel. I love Bedard, and I don't think he's close to a decline or anything. But time's a-wastin' in terms of extending him, and he's close to being too expensive for a rebuilding team. Plus, I think we could get a ton of talent for him, since, like I said, he's close to as good as he's going to be.

BTW, davearm, do you think he's about to decline? I don't think that at all; I think he has about five more years pitching at more or less his current level. But again, if you're going to rebuild, it doesn't make much sense to keep and extend a guy who will be on the decline by the time an extensive rebuilding plan bears fruit.

Well, don't you move DCab or Markakis if you get a good return?
Of course, sure. But there are levels of untouchability. Bedard is considerably more "touchable" because he's closer to FA than Loewen, Markakis (and DCab, although less so). Those guys are touchable, but only if someone wants to really blow us away.

Of all the veterans, I think Ramon is the closest to being untouchable, just because he's signed to such a reasonable deal and is so well-respected by the pitchers. Other than him, I say sell 'em all down the river for whatever you can get.

Yeah, this is basically how I feel. I love Bedard, and I don't think he's close to a decline or anything. But time's a-wastin' in terms of extending him, and he's close to being too expensive for a rebuilding team. Plus, I think we could get a ton of talent for him, since, like I said, he's close to as good as he's going to be.

BTW, davearm, do you think he's about to decline? I don't think that at all; I think he has about five more years pitching at more or less his current level. But again, if you're going to rebuild, it doesn't make much sense to keep and extend a guy who will be on the decline by the time an extensive rebuilding plan bears fruit.

No on the decline question.

I see him becoming worth more to the Orioles for the young talent he could be traded for, than for the production he will give them on the field. Just like is the case with Tejada now.

So I envision that the same arguments being made now for trading Tejada will come to be applied to Bedard in the not-too-distant future.

The point is, not long ago, the notion of trading Bedard was almost universally considered rediculous and laughable around here. I see that changing real fast (and based on some responses in this thread, maybe even faster than I imagined).

I see him becoming worth more to the Orioles for the young talent he could be traded for, than for the production he will give them on the field. Just like is the case with Tejada now.

So I envision that the same arguments being made now for trading Tejada will come to be applied to Bedard in the not-too-distant future.

The point is, not long ago, the notion of trading Bedard was almost universally considered rediculous and laughable around here. I see that changing real fast (and based on some responses in this thread, maybe even faster than I imagined).

I think he should definitely be tradeable. This organization finally has young pitchers that looked poised for ML success. But, there really are no hitters to speaks of. If Bedard can bring back some top offensive prospects, I think it has to be considered.

I wouldn't trade Ramon right now unless you are getting a good young catcher in a deal.

Salty seems to be available from the Braves. If you could get him in a deal, that would be enough for me to say trade Ramon.

I would be locking up Bedard, DCab and Markakis into arb-friendly deals.

If you can't lock up bedard, he should be shopped at the deadline and you will get back a very good package.

Tejada and Ray almost have to go IMO.

BRob should be shopped as well. I don't feel a need to trade him but he is signed cheap enough and is still good enough that you could get alot for him now IMO.....Call the Mets.

I still think we are pretty far away from considering trading Bedard. You have to have a core identity somewhere, and starting pitching is a good place to start. I have never been a "Bedard is untouchable" guy, but you'd need an awful lot for him.

Archived