The Spring Training Overreaction Thread

Camden_yardbird

The O's starters now have a 9.20 ERA for the Spring, last in MLB.

Tillman, 9.31 ERA in 3 starts...Ubaldo, 12.27 ERA in 4 starts...Gonzo, 12.56 ERA in 5 starts...Yovani, 16.88 ERA in 3 starts.

If our starters can just give us 3 innings and 3 or 4 runs, our bullpen can hold the fort and let our offense come back. We'll need to have 2-3 optionable pieces in the bullpen so that they can shuttle between pitching every day in Baltimore and resting in Norfolk.

Expectations successfully lowered for the regular season.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have a problem understanding about being hopeful and optimistic. I just wish I understood what you're hopeful and optimistic about other than the standard "It's spring, everyone has the same record and there's a long season ahead." Which can be said about everyone.
I am frequently not optimistic about many things, but always hopeful. Why not? The alternative is depressing. I would not be optimistic about the O's if I thought they had no chance, but given all the question marks about the rest of the AL East I don't think that is the case.

I don't have a problem understanding about being hopeful and optimistic. I just wish I understood what you're hopeful and optimistic about other than the standard "It's spring, everyone has the same record and there's a long season ahead." Which can be said about everyone.

This is mostly the same team that was .500 last year and not that far out of contention. They improved at several spots, may have taken a step back with the rotation. I thought this was a low-80s kind of team all along, still do, and low-80s teams sometimes win 90. That's how I get there. Yes, there's a not-insignificant chance they finish under .500, and a non-trivial chance of a trainwreck. Such is life, we'll see how it works out.

This is mostly the same team that was .500 last year and not that far out of contention. They improved at several spots, may have taken a step back with the rotation. I thought this was a low-80s kind of team all along, still do, and low-80s teams sometimes win 90. That's how I get there. Yes, there's a not-insignificant chance they finish under .500, and a non-trivial chance of a trainwreck. Such is life, we'll see how it works out.

Conversely, it's much of the same team that won 96 games the year prior to that one.

I hope they are going to be improved at catcher (if Wieters gets back to full strength), a full season of Schoop at 2B, a healthier Hardy, better numbers from RF and DH and the bullpen should be great again. LF will probably be a wash with last year. Gallardo replaces Chen, a downgrade and Gausman (hopefully) gets some of Bundy's innings. Now if Tillman, Ubaldo and Gonzalez pitch like crap, then just blow the whole thing up.

9-4-2 over their last 15 games, for a .692 winning percentage.

They were losing today's game the entire way, from the 1st inning through the 8th ...... but then, their true character pushed forth, and they tied it with a run in the 8th, and took the lead with 2 more runs in the 9th.

The reliable Oliver Drake closed the door on the befuddled Pirates in the bottom half of the inning.

I think you have made your point, and don't need to quote your previous 12 posts. We get it.

At this point, for me, it's all about the starting pitching, not the W-L record.

o

(POSTED ON MARCH 11th)

The last team to start the preseason this badly was the 2009 Astros, at 0-16-3.

They finished that season at 74-88.

I got this from Roch Kubatko.

The Astros finished with 12 wins that spring (12-20.) I don't see this team winning anywhere near 12 spring games.

The Orioles won 12 Spring Training games (12-15-5.)

So now we know that they have a reasonably good chance to match the 2009 Astros' record of 74-88 ...... based on their incredible Spring Training turnaround after the 0-10-2 start.

The last team to start the preseason this badly was the 2009 Astros, at 0-16-3.

They finished that season at 74-88.

I got this from Roch Kubatko.

The Astros finished with 12 wins that spring (12-20.) I don't see this team winning anywhere near 12 spring games.

The Orioles won 12 Spring Training games (12-15-5.)

So now we know that they have a reasonably good chance to match the 2009 Astros' record of 74-88 ...... based on their incredible Spring Training turnaround after the 0-10-2 start.

I'm certainly hoping for better than 74-88 ...... but that's pretty neat.

I'm hoping for better than 74-88 too, but I will not allow myself to stray from the empirical evidence correlations that have been presented in this thread.

Archived