Slugger Pedro Alvarez Signs w Orioles (1 yr: 5.75 + 1.5 potential bonuses) OFFICIAL

Birds08

I think he is better than Nelson Cruz and Delmon Young and similar to Nick Markakis.

I don't know if you are praising Pedro or insulting Nick.

SImilar to Markakis ? THe Nick of his first few years in Baltimore or the Nick in his last season?

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about "It is an inefficient use of resources to sign Alvarez when you already have Trumbo and Davis under contract."?

There is no inefficiency to be found in team HR titles. Boom goes the dynamite! It's all about the pitching....pfft.

How about "It is an inefficient use of resources to sign Alvarez when you already have Trumbo and Davis under contract."?

At this point, on a deal that is one year, what is the more efficient method of obtaining additional marginal wins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if you are praising Pedro or insulting Nick.

SImilar to Markakis ? THe Nick of his first few years in Baltimore or the Nick in his last season?

Nick won a Gold Glove in his last season.

I get very tired of people ragging on Markakis' defense. The guy won Gold Gloves in 2011 and 2014. He was one of the three finalists in 2013. He had below average range, but literally everything else about his fielding was good.

At this point, on a deal that is one year, what is the more efficient method of obtaining additional marginal wins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sold this gets the O's any marginal wins.

I'm not buying this Trumbo is average in right stuff. I think putting him in the outfield pretty much nullifies the impact of his bat.

The Orioles are incompetent. So they brought in another guy that other teams didn't want. Terrific. They spent over $200 million this offseason and didn't get any better. The team collectively struck out too much and had poor plate discipline BEFORE they brought in Trumbo and Alvarez. The middle of the order will now include Jones, Davis, Trumbo and Alvarez. That's just fantastic. The middle of the order still doesn't include Manny, who is their best hitter, which is also STUPID

The front office completely screwed up the last 4 years by not taking advantage of the core of the team being on cheap contracts. I can't do it anymore. I'll casually watch and I'll go to games for free since my company has a skybox but otherwise it's too disappointing.

Wow another one coming out of the wood work.

I get very tired of people ragging on Markakis' defense. The guy won Gold Gloves in 2011 and 2014. He was one of the three finalists in 2013. He had below average range, but literally everything else about his fielding was good.

Really Frobby?

The Gold Glove test?

So Jeter was excellent at short when he was 36?

When he won the gold glove in 2011 and 2014 his dWAR scores were -0.4 and -0.5 repectively, which really aren't too bad for right field. They were however his two best scores since his 2008 season.

Not saying I completely agree with dWAR, but saying even by the metrics that don't like him, they graded him better for the years he won the GG.

Really Frobby?

The Gold Glove test?

No he was terrible. So was Manny in 2013. And Hardy in 2014. And Brooks all those years. One bad gold glove award doesn't mean the rest all lose their value.

So Pedro Alvarez is similar to a Gold Glove RF?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really Frobby?

The Gold Glove test?

I'm going to be measured here, because Nick was my favorite player and I know I am biased. You can take everything I say in that light.

That said, I'm going to go to my grave believing that Nick was never a below average outfielder while he was here, except for in 2012 when he was returning from abdominal surgery and was visibly slowed in the field. I know he was a hell of a lot better than the players who preceded him in RF and the guys who succeeded him last year. And if that makes me an out of touch old geezer in this one instance, so be it. I saw a guy who ran good routes, was a pretty decent judge of fly balls, was extremely sure-handed and had the ability to make makes while diving or sliding, who rarely bobbled a ball that he picked up off the ground, who knew now to play caroms of the wall flawlessly and pivot and throw a strike to 2B, who had a very accurate arm and a quick release, and who almost never made a mental error in the field. And, he knew when to back off and let Jones make the play. Was he the rangiest guy in the world? No.

I will be amazed if I watch Mark Trumbo in RF and think to myself, "he is as good or better than Nick." And I hope I do, but I'm not counting on it.

What are you talking about?

It can't be that confusing can it? You used Jeter to show that Markakis didn't deserve his gold glove. So I figure that because you're right that both Markakis and Jeter didn't deserve their gold gloves, everyone that has won a gold glove must also not deserve it.

Or it could be that Jeter won his GG's on name recognition and "highlight reel" plays, and that most other people that win them are actually good defenders in that year. Markakis included.

"Other than lacking the most important thing, he was pretty good." :)

Archived