Miguel Gonzalez option available

srock

I mostly agree; however, if Vance looks very good all spring and Miguel struggles, I wouldn't be shocked to see them flipped. Doubt it, but possible I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Gonzo have any options left?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question, and I don't know. Maybe one? Looks like we optioned him briefly in both 2014 and 2015, but I could be mistaken. I don't know a good place to check on remaining options, but perhaps someone knows a good resource (I sniffed around a bit on BBRef but couldn't find it).

That said, not sure I see him pitching in Norfolk, but I guess anything is possible.

I believe he has one remaining. He also has not accumulated 5 years of service time so he can not refuse the Optional Assignment. He was outrighted by Boston in 2009 so he may be able to refuse assignment if he were to clear waivers since he had already went throught the process once..

He was optioned in 2012.

He was optioned in 2014.

I mostly agree; however, if Vance looks very good all spring and Miguel struggles, I wouldn't be shocked to see them flipped. Doubt it, but possible I think.

That could happen, and I'm open to it. As long as we win games, I'm happy

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

o

MIGUEL ANGEL GONZALEZ O(vs. RED SOX, 3/8) O[spring Training]

IP:. 2.67

H:;; 3 (1 Home Run, 2 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB: 1

SO: 1

Pitches: 46 (30 Strikes, 16 Balls)

PITCHES BY INNING

23 (15 Strikes, 8 Balls)

16 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)

71 (51 Strikes, 2 Balls) *

* Gonzalez recorded 2 outs before departing in the 3rd inning.

Buck from Roch

Odrisamer Despaigne didn't allow a run in 2 1/3 innings.

"He's been a lot crisper each time out," Showalter said. "That's good to see."

Despaigne's four appearances have come out of the bullpen. His first start will have to wait. There's a pecking order and limited innings.

"Obviously, guys like (Chris) Tillman and Ubaldo (Jimenez) and (Yovani) Gallardo and those guys, (Kevin) Gausman, are ahead of him, and we make sure they're a priority and see where it falls. But we can create that," Showalter said.

Not even a mention of Gonzalez. Buck does not do that lightly.

We will need all these guys this season. The 'odd man out' means bullpen/AAA/DL etc. None of them will be cut.

This is a staff built on depth, not top tier talent. Miguel will be good at some piont this year, and when he is bad I expect him to miss starts. That goes for pretty much everyone to varying degrees.

So let's take that a step further. If Odie earns a spot in the rotation, who is the odd man out in the bullpen?

Gonzo goes for his third start tomorrow, while I believe Gausman has made only one?

Archived