Ubaldo for opening day starter

Diehard_O's_Fan

Roch passed along some interesting stats in his blog this morning:

For what it's worth, Tillman is 0-4 with a 4.82 ERA in six career starts against the Twins. Gallardo is 2-2 with a 3.14 ERA in eight starts. Jimenez is 4-3 with a 2.72 ERA in nine games (eight starts).

The opening day starter also gets the Rays in the next series at Camden Yards. Tillman is 5-9 with a 4.30 ERA in 20 starts against them. Gallardo is 2-1 with a 3.06 ERA in three starts. Jimenez is 4-1 with a 2.56 ERA in five starts.

So that would make a good case for Ubaldo. However, Gallardo's stats are pretty good as well and I'm not sure Ubaldo needs that pressure (although you could also argue that it might give him a confidence boost).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roch passed along some interesting stats in his blog this morning:

So that would make a good case for Ubaldo. However, Gallardo's stats are pretty good as well and I'm not sure Ubaldo needs that pressure (although you could also argue that it might give him a confidence boost).

These stats are what we call in the stats business, "completely freaking useless".

I know he's no prospect but this rotation is full of "what ifs" so my positive thinking is Ubaldo can finally put it all together for one full season rather then a month here and a half there. We've put man on the moon and Donald Trump might be our next president so it could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ubaldo absolutely has the best "stuff" of any of the O's starters, on any given day. I think that's a given. He just doesn't consistently harness it. And at this point in his career, he is what he is.

I am not sold Ubaldo has better pure stuff than Gausman.

I think at this point in Gausman's career, Ubaldo absolutely does. Ubaldo's stuff, when on, is actually some of the most electric you'll see in the league. It's just so rarely "on."

Gausman is still ironing out the kinks, so to speak. He'll (hopefully) get there.

These stats are what we call in the stats business, "completely freaking useless".

It's not the stats that are important. It's the perception that the stats are meaningful to Buck and might influence his decisions on who to start when.

I think at this point in Gausman's career, Ubaldo absolutely does. Ubaldo's stuff, when on, is actually some of the most electric you'll see in the league. It's just so rarely "on."

Gausman is still ironing out the kinks, so to speak. He'll (hopefully) get there.

Agree. I saw Ubaldo pitch a near no-hitter with the Indians when for one night he had complete command of his pitches. He's had absolutely filthy dominant stuff.

Sort of reminds me of Daniel Cabrera at times.

Agree. I saw Ubaldo pitch a near no-hitter with the Indians when for one night he had complete command of his pitches. He's had absolutely filthy dominant stuff.

Ubalado has lost velocity over the years.

His stuff, at his peak, was better.

Right now I would take Gausman's stuff.

Ooo. Ervin Santana. I'm shaking in my shoes....

:rolleyestf:

Tillman yesterday, Gallardo today. Ubaldo would appear to be lining up as #3.

Honestly I would rather face Tillman than Santana 4.00 ERA in 2015, 1.13 ERA this spring, and we seem to be incapable of scoring against the Twins. Objectively, Santana is better than any of our pitchers even if he is league average.

I saw Ubaldo dominate the Orioles so badly in 2013 that I was actually happy that the Orioles signed him.

Archived