Dan Duquette has given up 2 1st round draft picks...

LookitsPuck

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe so but DD is public enemy number 1 for some on this board.

Fans have a habit of picking certain players/managers/GM's/owners that they have a disdain for and NO amount of proof otherwise will change that. The Orioles Fans have dislike for the Owner, The Acting GM, JJ Hardy and Nolan Reimold. It is my opinion that if all four were GONE they would pick another person(s) in the organization to WHIP UPON.

Maybe so but DD is public enemy number 1 for some on this board.

I don't know why people fail to give credit where credit is due?

Andy did a lot of the initial work, very true.

When Andy arrived, this ship was beyond the Titanic and at rock bottom, a meddling owner and ST in Florida was the worse in the MLB, the organization was the laughing stock of baseball.

DD took that rising foundation, made some additions and the ship has been sailing pretty darn good the past 4 seasons.

When a fan base bemoans the fact the the Orioles Signings were Ubaldo Jimenez and Yovani Gallarado I simply look at the signings of C.C. Sabatha and Barry Zito as to what could have happened and is happening. David Price and his current contract will more likely that not be an albatross unless he opts out which I doubt.

I don't think Sabathia and Zito are in the same category. Sabathia produced at a very high level for several years and was the ace of the last Yankee team to win the World Series. He has petered out in the later years of his deal, and in hindsight the Yankees made a mistake in extending him when his opt-out year arrived. But they got some very significant value out of him from 2009-12 and I doubt they regret their original deal. Zito, o the other hand, was a complete bust who had a losing record in 6 of his 7 years with the Giants (63-80, 4.62 ERA overall). He was a complete waste of money.

The worry here is that we may never get a decent season out of Gallardo. But that remains to be seen.

I don't think Sabathia and Zito are in the same category. Sabathia produced at a very high level for several years and was the ace of the last Yankee team to win the World Series. He has petered out in the later years of his deal, and in hindsight the Yankees made a mistake in extending him when his opt-out year arrived. But they got some very significant value out of him from 2009-12 and I doubt they regret their original deal. Zito, o the other hand, was a complete bust who had a losing record in 6 of his 7 years with the Giants (63-80, 4.62 ERA overall). He was a complete waste of money.

The worry here is that we may never get a decent season out of Gallardo. But that remains to be seen.

Good post, and IMO, Price is the same risk that CC's path as followed, big deal, good for 2 or 3 years and petering out towards the of his deal.

A lot of the discussion regarding DD doesn't include the Angelos factor. The Orioles have had a win now while minimizing costs mode of operation for many, many hears. The organization has never committed to a real rebuilding program, never really committed to a minor league first development program, etc. MacPhail probably came the closest, but he had the good fortune of having Bedard and some others to trade. Heck, Angelos directly negotiated with Boras this offseason. No "general manager" for the O's has freedom of action and I think the more competitive the team the less wiggle room they probably have.

I still get very, very frustrated with some of the O's moves and lack thereof, but I try to remember that their actions have been pretty consistent for many years. The GM explains less of the variation than the owner IMO.

A lot of the discussion regarding DD doesn't include the Angelos factor. The Orioles have had a win now while minimizing costs mode of operation for many, many hears. The organization has never committed to a real rebuilding program, never really committed to a minor league first development program, etc. MacPhail probably came the closest, but he had the good fortune of having Bedard and some others to trade. Heck, Angelos directly negotiated with Boras this offseason. No "general manager" for the O's has freedom of action and I think the more competitive the team the less wiggle room they probably have.

I still get very, very frustrated with some of the O's moves and lack thereof, but I try to remember that their actions have been pretty consistent for many years. The GM explains less of the variation than the owner IMO.

That is how Boras operates that isn't something specific to the Orioles.

I was looking at the high dollar amount that each received (Zito from the start and CC after he Opted Out/Re-signed) and the cost per win that was and is being paid to them while comparing to what the cost per win the Orioles will be paying for Gallardo and Jimenez. The book is not closed on this as it still has page to be wrote.

Kinda of hard to say, when the man doesn't do the actual player transactions and contracts.

The Giants won two rings with Zito. Which is really amazing when you think about it. Dan Haren swears Zito was the best teammate he ever had,set the whole tone for how young players were be treated in the clubhouse.

Right Brady is the GM and we bring back Dave Trembley.

Here's an idea. We can raid Philadelphia for MacPhail just like Toronto tried to do with Duquette. If we succeed we can go back to the good old days of 69-win seasons and root for an organization built the "right way".

Year after year after year...

No more squandering resources for winning seasons. Winning seasons are so overrated anyway. The dream lives.

Here's an idea. We can raid Philadelphia for MacPhail just like Toronto tried to do with Duquette. If we succeed we can go back to the good old days of 69-win seasons and root for an organization built the "right way".

Year after year after year...

No more squandering resources for winning seasons. Winning seasons are so overrated anyway. The dream lives.

Dan traded Davies for Parra last year and we didn't even end up with a winning season.

The ideal, the dream, is to have continuing success.

I don't think Andy or Dan has shown that they can do that in Baltimore.

He's completely destroyed our pitching development. I don't know how an "established" major league executive can actually think forcing unnecessary changes on pitchers, taking away their best pitches, and making every single pitcher have the same selection of pitches is a good philosophy.

This is complete hyperbole.

We took Dylan Bundy's cutter away and that because many in the medical and baseball community believed that pitches like that, thrown at an early age, create more risk of injury. Who knows what led to the TJ surgery but I'm sure everyone will speculate. If you are convinced that taking his cutter away led to the injury, than I don't know what to tell you.

Moving KG to the other side of the rubber?? Big deal. KG is pitching fine. Can't imagine his shoulder issues are remotely related to pitching from a location 12 inches in the opposite direction.

He's completely destroyed our pitching development. I don't know how an "established" major league executive can actually think forcing unnecessary changes on pitchers, taking away their best pitches, and making every single pitcher have the same selection of pitches is a good philosophy.

It is not like the Orioles Prior to his tenure were banging out Cy Young Pitchers on a regular basis.

Archived