Trumbo's defense & Crush

Rene88

Guys with cannon arms should have more than 6 assists in 141 career games in RF. I did not see a cannon tonight. Not close. A solid RF arm but Trumbo couldn't even drift under the ball properly to gain momentum going towards home. He came in too soon, had to stop, and had no momentum. Why? Because he's not a natural out there.

There's a difference between saying he "has a cannon" and made a cannon throw. Like I said, I'm sure the consistency is lacking. But the throwing potential is certainly there.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trumbo's defense in RF is not good. He seems like a winner. Great bat, great guy, great attitude.

However, he is a big liability in RF.

I much rather see Davis out there but not sure with what they are paying Davis, that will happen.

What say you?

Funny when we signed Fowler and had Kim we thought we had OF squared away and now we are back to lots of ? marks, at least defensively.

Do you think Davis will see play in the OF?

Will they go with Trumbo do or die?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like him in RF better then Kim in LF :) and our 160 million dollar man ain't moving to RF.

Guys with cannon arms should have more than 6 assists in 141 career games in RF. I did not see a cannon tonight. Not close. A solid RF arm but Trumbo couldn't even drift under the ball properly to gain momentum going towards home. He came in too soon, had to stop, and had no momentum. Why? Because he's not a natural out there.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/bal/video/v563231183/nyybal-trumbo-nabs-headley-at-third-base/?query=trumbo

That's the video. He's a bit shallower in RF than I remember and took an awkward approach to the ball, but that's still a very strong throw. I don't know if his arm is going to be an asset but I definitely don't think it's a liability.

So 318 innings isn't enough to use the stats but 503 innings is. Hmmm. Where is the cutoff?

That's not what I was saying, if you read it again. Combine them together, that's 800 innings, that still not a full season but it's a worse rate than Trumbo. That's something like a -17 UZR/150 and if it was a full season of DRS, worse than -10.

Either way, it's not enough innings to make a real conclusion, but your initial statement that Delmon Young was a better RF statistically is not correct.

I was at the game tonight with my son (also went yesterday at JetBlue). Early in the game Trumbo missed the cutoff man on a hit to RF, and I simply commented to my son that wasn't a good sign. Then he let a line drive drop in front of him, seemed catchable with better reaction/effort, and again we discussed potential RF problems this season, and our surprise that Buck would put up with defensive mediocrity. This all occurred before a sacrifice fly, I think it was in the 6th, where Trumbo made a poor multi-hop/roll throw to the plate on a ball not hit particularly deep to right.

Watching the game, Trumbo really seems to lumber around out there, just doesn't seem athletic enough to play outfield. Even watching warm-ups right down at field level by their dugout, was frustratingly clear he is just not as quick-twitch athletic as others, even Davis.

I said he had a solid arm. There's a reason he has so few assists. He doesn't move well and he doesn't have the pure instincts for the outfield to put himself in the best possible position for throws.

I think we're just quibbling over terminology here. I think he has a strong arm in terms of actual arm strength, mitigated by the other factors you point out, to be something like an average arm in RF. But I think his baseline arm strength gives him the potential to have an above average arm in RF if he refines his approach. That could happen, given his inexperience in the OF, but I would say it isn't likely. So I agree with your assessment that his arm is "solid," in terms of how it plays given his other deficiencies, but he has the potential to have an above average arm overall.

The routes and instincts on balls over his head are going to be an adventure all year. But he's not actually that slow, like many assume he is. He's a big man, quite tall, but not carrying any excess weight and plenty athletic.

In order to make a useful determination with defensive metrics you need at least two full seasons of 1200 IN at a given position. Better more than that. 200 IN here, 60 IN there, etc. over a period of years doesn't tell you much of anything.

I just wish we could put a well-constructed team out there sometime soon. I love our batting lineup, but getting those bats into the lineup isn't going to be pretty.
If you are talking about defense you are talking about one position that isn't better than average. Maybe two if you think CD is only an average 1B, but we are plus every where else.

If you are talking about defense you are talking about one position that isn't better than average. Maybe two if you think CD is only an average 1B, but we are plus every where else.

Hardy is no longer an upper echelon defender. Schoop may not be. Davis probably is not. Trumbo certainly isn't and who knows who will play left.

I just wish we could put a well-constructed team out there sometime soon. I love our batting lineup, but getting those bats into the lineup isn't going to be pretty.

Give me an example of what you consider a well-constructed team.

I gotta wonder whether it is possible to EVER please some people.

The team is loaded with maulers.

A leadoff hitting LF with an OBP nearing 50% fell from the sky like a gift from the baseball Gods.

Hardy, Bundy, and maybe even Weiters look healthy.

We have 4 or 5 guys with a legit shot at 30+ HR's

We have a phenomenal bullpen

The starters will have plenty of run support.

And we're worried about Trumbo as a defensive liability? Seriously?

Yeah, he's not a gold glove but jeez... get some perspective.

No team is perfect.

Archived