On a Positive Note, How Freaking Good Could Jon Schoop be This Year??

Sanfran327

Negative Nellies be warned: this is not a thread for you. I'm tired of hearing about how bad we're going to be this year before we even get to Opening Day. I'd prefer to think about how awesome our infield is going to be - on both sides of the ball - and, in particular, how good is Schoop going to be this year? He could be an All Star caliber player this season, and I'm really looking forward to watching him play. If he and Manny start pushing each other even further, they will be among the best young duos in MLB - if they're not already.

He's going to be an absolute beast, IMO. 30 bombs with a solid average and gold glove D at 2B. All Star.

I love that early projections have him batting 8th. EIGHTH!! WHAT?! The Manny/Jones/Davis/Trumbo/Alvarez/Schoop portion of our lineup is just silly. Wow.

I say we get him signed long-term right now. If we wait for this season, we could be in deep doo-doo, as I think he's going to be a MONSTER.

Yeah, don't make the same mistake that we did with Manny (who might have never signed early anyway). Give JS a six year deal before it's too late. Would be a really nice pre-opening-day surprise!

Perennial all star. Between Brian Robert and Robby Alomar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alomar had a .371 career OBP and Roberts a .342. I don't think he'll ever approach either of them in terms of being a "complete" offensive player.

To me he's more likely to have the upside of a Miguel Tejada (even though he was a SS / 3B) who's career OBP was .317.

Not that being the 2nd coming of Tejada would be a bad thing... :)

I say we get him signed long-term right now. If we wait for this season, we could be in deep doo-doo, as I think he's going to be a MONSTER.

I think Schoop and his agent would want to wait. Takes two to tango.

The interesting thing IMO about this is the friendship between Machado and Schoop. Those two players are the two players the Orioles need to lock up long term, priority #1 after the season. It could be a situation where signing one helps the team sign the other.

I think Schoop and his agent would want to wait. Takes two to tango.

If his agent is good, they would absolutely consider a deal of this type at any point to balance risk. There is some value for which the risk / reward of an early deal extension becomes an absolute no brainer.

Of course he may have an agent that's driven more by ego than fiduciary responsibility to his client in which case all bets would be off.

Archived