Grade the Offseason (Round II)

Frobby

Grade the 2015-16 offseason  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the 2015-16 offseason

I'm going with D even though I think there's a chance we'll contend this year. Starting pitching was our biggest need going into the offseason and we didn't really address it effectively. A month ago I would have seen the Kim signing as a positive, but now it seems like a fiasco.

I give it a C. I would not have given up the #14 pick to sign Gallardo. It didn't look so bad when the team was going to sign Fowler. If we could have gotten him on a three year deal my grade would have gone up considerably. DD has not signed or traded fora single quality field player for more than a one year deal since he has been here. I don't know why you give Chris Davis that ridiculous contract but can't give Fowler enough to get him to sign a three year deal. Both cases you would lose a first round compensation pick by signing them.

What do you do when more than everyone else is offering isn't enough? Just keep throwing more money at them? He took less for a shorter period of time to play somewhere else.

Well we offered more years and more money than anyone else was offering for Chris Davis. Odds are that giving Fowler the three year deal he wanted he would be a lot closer to being worth his contract than Chris Davis is worth his.

Well we offered more years and more money than anyone else was offering for Chris Davis. Odds are that giving Fowler the three year deal he wanted he would be a lot closer to being worth his contract than Chris Davis is worth his.

They offered him a three year deal.

He signed a one year deal with the Cubs for less than the qualifying offer he turned down.

How do you reason with that kind of logic?

B-. They went into the offseason with gaping holes at 1B, RF, LF, and DH. Three of those have been filled well while the other is filled with the big surprise of camp. The catching situation is much better than expected.

They didn't do enough to improve their rotation. I don't really see what else they could have done though, honestly. If they were going to get Zimmermann, they would have had to spend more than the $110M he got, probably much more. They don't have the farm to trade for a guy. Other non-QO guys like Kazmir, Latos, and Fister have really struggled in ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-. They went into the offseason with gaping holes at 1B, RF, LF, and DH. Three of those have been filled well while the other is filled with the big surprise of camp. The catching situation is much better than expected.

They didn't do enough to improve their rotation. I don't really see what else they could have done though, honestly. If they were going to get Zimmermann, they would have had to spend more than the $110M he got, probably much more. They don't have the farm to trade for a guy. Other non-QO guys like Kazmir, Latos, and Fister have really struggled in ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. PA's rules prohibited anything else. If we could spend 20+ for 5 years + and/or offer opt outs, then sure we could have done much better but as it is I think Gallardo has a better season that Latos , Fister and Kazmir.

I gave the Orioles a B for the OffSeason. None of the top Prospects or players were traded away to address the pitching but we did promote from within (Wilson, Walker, Bundy).

The resigning of the players that were free agents (Wieters, O'Day, Davis) showed a willingness to keep what we have. Not giving out Opt. Outs to marginals players/Pitchers is also a plus IMO.

If they had signed another pitcher that would have fit in at two/three in the rotation and if they had kept the Davis contract to under Five Years, i would have given an A to A-.

Archived