One decision left

wildcard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideally Kim accepts an assignment to Norfolk, tears it up 2-3 weeks in, and comes up when someone inevitably goes on the DL. He does himself no good demanding to be on the big-league roster only to play the David Lough role of sitting on the bench and getting 2 ABs per week. I really think he can be productive in a way that this team sorely needs (OBP)... if he's willing to trust the team and go down for a short period.

So, it looks like the 25 man roster for OD is:

Catchers:

Weiters

Joseph

Infielders:

Davis

Schoop

Hardy

Machado

Alvarez

Flaherty

Outfielders:

Jones

Trumbo

Rickard

Reimold

Kim or Avery

Starters:

Tillman

Gallardo

Jimenez

Wright

Bullpen:

Wilson

Worley

MacFarland

Bundy

Brach

Givens

O'Day

Britton

DL:

Gausman

Matusz

Paredes

Either Wilson or Worley the fifth starter until Gausman comes back.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Never mind' date=' I see where they optioned Janish.

Here's my two cents: Send Avery down. Keep Kim on the 25 for now. You made a commitment to him, so leave him there and see what happens when he gets more MLB coaching and is exposed to the real game. At any point, if it becomes necessary to make a move, release him, like maybe when Gausman comes off the D.L. or something. Who knows? Maybe a change of heart will take place between now and then.[/quote']

They didn't option Janish. He was on a minor league contract and was assigned to the minors. An option is only used when a player is on the 40 Man roster and instead of making the 35 man roster (or DL), they are sent to the minors.

If Kim can't even make the ML team over Xavier Avery, the Orioles just need to eat the money and let him go back to Korea. Avery had an OPS of .725 last year at AAA. His career minor league OPS is under .700. I also wasn't very impressed with his baserunning blunders and defense when he was on the team three years ago but maybe he's improved in that regard. Pick up David Murphy or somebody else if Kim isn't the answer.

If Kim can't even make the ML team over Xavier Avery, the Orioles just need to eat the money and let him go back to Korea. Avery had an OPS of .725 last year at AAA. His career minor league OPS is under .700. I also wasn't very impressed with his baserunning blunders and defense when he was on the team three years ago but maybe he's improved in that regard. Pick up David Murphy or somebody else if Kim isn't the answer.

Per MASN

'The Orioles have no intention of releasing Hyun Soo Kim and paying him the 7 million dollars on his two year contract."

It doesn't even make sense to pinch hit Kim for anybody on the 25man. When is he actually going to play? He'll never play! You'd be intentionally weakening your lineup and defense in any scenario where he plays.

So they can put him on the roster but I guarantee you he sees like 0 ABs. Buck barely plays September callups when the team is out of the playoffs. And he can't bring himself to rest his veterans.

Defense, probably. Offense, maybe not if it turns out Rickard and Kim's Spring Training performances aren't totally representative of their MLB talent levels.

Kim is our Rule V player this year. We usually carry one. Last year it was Rickard' date=' but he turned into a starter. Seriously, Dan believes in deep depth. He wants to keep "everyone" as there are always injuries.[/quote']

I think he wants to pay Kim less than 7M to go away.

It doesn't even make sense to pinch hit Kim for anybody on the 25man. When is he actually going to play? He'll never play! You'd be intentionally weakening your lineup and defense in any scenario where he plays.

So they can put him on the roster but I guarantee you he sees like 0 ABs. Buck barely plays September callups when the team is out of the playoffs. And he can't bring himself to rest his veterans.

Once Jones and Reimold both get dinged up but not dinged up enough to go on the DL Kim will get a chance.

At first base with Davis in the OF.

I figure third week in June.

One of these statements has to be true:

1) Kim simply lacks the ability to be a major leaguer.

Or

2) Kim has the ability to be a major leaguer but hasn't displayed it yet due to some unknown factor(s) (adjustment to US, adjustment to US style baseball, showing up out of shape, not having enough practice time yet, undisclosed medical issue, undisclosed personal issue.

If #1 is true, keeping him to avoid losing the $7m is a waste of time. The money is already lost.

Of #2 is the case, how do we get him in shape to play sitting on our bench not playing. Unless it's a medical or personal issue, it's not going to be fixed by sitting on the bench.

It's just a ba situation all around.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

One of these statements has to be true:

1) Kim simply lacks the ability to be a major leaguer.

Or

2) Kim has the ability to be a major leaguer but hasn't displayed it yet due to some unknown factor(s) (adjustment to US, adjustment to US style baseball, showing up out of shape, not having enough practice time yet, undisclosed medical issue, undisclosed personal issue.

If #1 is true, keeping him to avoid losing the $7m is a waste of time. The money is already lost.

Of #2 is the case, how do we get him in shape to play sitting on our bench not playing. Unless it's a medical or personal issue, it's not going to be fixed by sitting on the bench.

It's just a ba situation all around.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

:agree: Apparently, the Orioles fell that it is option 2 and the best course of action would be for him to get work in at AAA. He disagrees. Our Korean scouts apparently advised DD that Kim was MLB ready right now. Unfortunately, he bought into it and agreed to the now-infamous clause allowing Kim to refuse a minor league assignment. Frankly, I'm guessing that agreeing to that clause may well have been the deciding factor for Kim in agreeing to sign with Baltimore. He was highly touted, and ranked pretty high on MLBTraderumors' free agent list. Other teams may have balked at Kim's insistence to include that clause. Rightly so, as it turns out.

So, it looks like the 25 man roster for OD is:

Catchers:

Weiters

Joseph

Infielders:

Davis

Schoop

Hardy

Machado

Alvarez

Flaherty

Outfielders:

Jones

Trumbo

Rickard

Reimold

Kim or Avery

Starters:

Tillman

Gallardo

Jimenez

Wright

Bullpen:

Wilson

Worley

MacFarland

Bundy

Brach

Givens

O'Day

Britton

DL:

Gausman

Matusz

Paredes

Either Wilson or Worley the fifth starter until Gausman comes back.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks for summarizing this up. I've been slacking off in my O's info. Let's say we don't go with Avery or Kim, and opt for an extra reliever. Who would be in the running?

I'm assuming that it would have to be a guy that has options. Hasn't been recently demoted because of the 10 day in the minors rule. What arm fits the criteria? Or can we just avoid the 10 day rule by DL'ing Matusz, Gausman, and Paredes?

Archived