Mountcastle goes deep in first game at Delmarva!

ChuckS

They don't use aluminum bats.

They use composite bats and they were, I don't know how to put it, detuned a few years ago.

Still they go further than wood. Still can be a difference.

I'm more inclined to believe it is another example of our minor league coaches and developers not letting players use what works. We are always changing stances, pitches etc. I do not have a lot of faith in our developmental levels and I'd LOVE to see us invest on folks who have a better track level of success.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still they go further than wood. Still can be a difference.

I'm more inclined to believe it is another example of our minor league coaches and developers not letting players use what works. We are always changing stances, pitches etc. I do not have a lot of faith in our developmental levels and I'd LOVE to see us invest on folks who have a better track level of success.

The bats are no where near as lively as they used to be. I can also add that competent scouting should be able to anticipate what the differences would be.

I will also mention that he "raked" against college pitching using wood bats in the cape cod league.

You think that a 21 year old putting up a 218/288/345 line at Aberdeen is an example of something working?

The bats are no where near as lively as they used to be. I can also add that competent scouting should be able to anticipate what the differences would be.

I will also mention that he "raked" against college pitching using wood bats in the cape cod league.

You think that a 21 year old putting up a 218/288/345 line at Aberdeen is an example of something working?

No I agree that line sucks as well. My overall point is our scouting and development is simply not where it should be. We have far too many stories of failure over stories of success. Other clubs are better and dare I say MOST.(Using the past 15 years as a sample size)

Do you disagree?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No I agree that line sucks as well. My overall point is our scouting and development is simply not where it should be. We have far too many stories of failure over stories of success. Other clubs are better and dare I say MOST.(Using the past 15 years as a sample size)

Do you disagree?

Of course I agree, I just don't see what the problem is with revamping Stewart's unorthodox stance when it was pretty clearly not working.

I don't think that was a good example of excessive tinkering.

And folks want us to avoid drafting pitchers because we can't develop them.

Well certainly while the track record with position players is not excellent it is certainly better than with the pitchers.

Just over the past decade plus or so you've got Markakis, Machado, Wieters, Schoop, Joseph, Reimold - I feel like I'm forgetting someone in there, but all guys who came up through the system and have been big contributors at the big league level.

Then you've got guys like Sisco, Mancini, Reyes, Walker, and more all looking like potential big league hitters.

I'm willing to give them a much greater benefit of the doubt regarding position players than pitchers. As mentioned earlier Mountcastle is very young. Stewart is learning a new stance. It's been what, a week and a half of games? Not saying it's not concerning, but far too early to make any conclusions.

(And just for the record, I'm not saying we should stop drafting pitchers. I'm of the opinion that we need to figure out what our issue is with pitchers and fix it.)

Well certainly while the track record with position players is not excellent it is certainly better than with the pitchers.

Just over the past decade plus or so you've got Markakis, Machado, Wieters, Schoop, Joseph, Reimold - I feel like I'm forgetting someone in there, but all guys who came up through the system and have been big contributors at the big league level.

Then you've got guys like Sisco, Mancini, Reyes, Walker, and more all looking like potential big league hitters.

I'm willing to give them a much greater benefit of the doubt regarding position players than pitchers. As mentioned earlier Mountcastle is very young. Stewart is learning a new stance. It's been what, a week and a half of games? Not saying it's not concerning, but far too early to make any conclusions.

(And just for the record, I'm not saying we should stop drafting pitchers. I'm of the opinion that we need to figure out what our issue is with pitchers and fix it.)

I wasn't being entirely serious.

I'm stuck on the recent comments by Arretia and his comments on tinkering and can't help but extend that to others, but can definitely see how Stewart could be a poor example.

They don't use aluminum bats.

They use composite bats and they were, I don't know how to put it, detuned a few years ago.

My apologies for being old school and not following college baseball too closely.

I did googled them on the net, and dang, if they don't look aluminum. LOL

It still isn't a wood bad, and so my question still remains, could this be, why some standout college hitters, doesn't translate to the MIL.

My apologies for being old school and not following college baseball too closely.

It still isn't a wood bad, and so my question still remains, could this be, why some standout college hitters, doesn't translate to the MIL.

No worries.

I didn't search for the stats but a page I looked at said he did well in the Cape Cod league which uses wooden bats.

High schoolers don't use wooden bats either. Doesn't seem like this would be exclusive to college hitters.

High schoolers don't use wooden bats either. Doesn't seem like this would be exclusive to college hitters.

You would think they would want to use the same thing at all levels, but again, call me old school.

I recall having this same conversion with my son, when buying him an aluminum bat for his rec league days.:)

I wasn't being entirely serious.

I know. Just saying, a lot of folks seem to lump "the system" as one unit, and I understand it's easier that way, but development of position players vs. pitchers are completely different things.

I think the O's have a done a decent job at pushing position players through, and in fact I'd say they're well above average at developing players defensively.

Archived