Mountcastle goes deep in first game at Delmarva!

ChuckS

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice to see this kid put up numbers. Wonder if he eventually moves to CO considering from what I have read he is only an average IF.

LF or 2B are the two likely options I would think, considering his arm.

http://notesfromthesally.com/2016/05/09/1st-look-ryan-mountcastle-ss-delmarva/

Mountcastle is long and lean, with a lot of projection left. At the dish he has an upright closed stance, quick wrists, a long level swing and above average bat speed. His quick wrists were on display early yesterday when he lined a 93 MPH inside fastball into the left field corner for a double. That ball got out there in a hurry. He’s got above average raw power right now, with the potential for more as he gets stronger.

Mountcastle’s raw offensively, he was getting beat with soft away yesterday. His pitch recognition skills will need to improve and they likely will. But I could see him having some growing pains at this level as college arms will be sequencing him to death. Too soon for me to say whether he can pick up spin or not.

Mountcastle’s got above average speed right now but he will fill out.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to see him play shortstop yesterday because he DH’d. I’m going to see the Shorebirds again tomorrow and I hope to be doing a similar post on DJ Stewart (I’ll include my thoughts on Mountcastle’s defense then).

Mountcastle’s got skills, the potential is certainly there for him to hit, hit with power and steal 10-15 bags (at least early in his career). But he’s not going to be a fast mover and the range of outcomes is enormous. Very high risk.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6rJcw4-TRbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

His strikeouts are going down. 14 K's over his first 9 games - including 6 games with multiple K's. 10 K's over his next 16, and 0 games with multiple K's.

He's also surpassed last year's walk total (9) in less than half the PA's.

His strikeouts are going down. 14 K's over his first 9 games - including 6 games with multiple K's. 10 K's over his next 16, and 0 games with multiple K's.

He's also surpassed last year's walk total (9) in less than half the PA's.

While both have been disappointments I am much more bullish on Mountcastle's long term prospects due to his age.

Stewart, although looking better lately is almost undoubtedly a bust. I can't recall a guy at his advanced age ever struggling this badly at rookie and low A ball, and amounting to anything. He should be destroying South Atlantic League pitching.

After hitting that bomb in the first game, Mountcastle was striking out nearly twice a game. Now he's had 4 multi-hit games in his last 5 and greatly cutdown on the Ks. Without seeing him, I'd guess he was probably trying to mash those first few weeks and has adjusted his approach and has even knocked 3 doubles in a week. Hopefully he continues to progress as a hitter. Need some more good news on the farm.

Another stat check-in on Mountcastle

His second triple of the season this afternoon with an RBI and a walk. Season average up to .262 with an OBP at a strong .345. He's drawn 6 walks and only struck out 4 times in his last 10 games.

He's only struck out 5 times in May compared to 22 times in April. Love seeing a player make adjustments at such a young age after struggling to start his first full season. Makes you think he has some mental toughness and that he is coachable.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Delmarva SS Ryan Mountcastle missed last night's game with a bruised knee and is listed as day-to-day. Batting .386 this month 4 Shorebirds.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">May 21, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mountcastle still hasn't played since May 19. Must be some bruise!

I asked about him on Wednesday and was told by the end of the week he'd be back. He's currently on the Aberdeen roster but can be moved at any point.

• 2 weeks later...

Good night for both Mountcastle, who has been hitting well since April, and Stewart:

On the farm: The Orioles’ Single-A Delmarva affiliate beat West Virginia 9-5 in 13 innings last night as the club’s top two 2015 draft picks, Ryan Mountcastle and D.J. Stewart, combined for eight of Delmarva’s 17 hits. Mountcastle went 4-for-6 with a double, homer, three runs and an RBI. The homer was his second of the year and his first came on opening day. Mountcastle hit .162 in April and is batting .341 since then.

Stewart went 4-for-7 with a double and two RBIs. Over his last 11 games, he is batting .357 (15-for-42) with two homers and seven RBIs. This run has raised his season average from .190 to .232.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/06/duquette-on-the-draft-os-notes-and-a-big-night-for-a-delmarva-duo.html

Archived