Mountcastle goes deep in first game at Delmarva!

ChuckS

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good night for both Mountcastle, who has been hitting well since April, and Stewart:

On the farm: The Orioles’ Single-A Delmarva affiliate beat West Virginia 9-5 in 13 innings last night as the club’s top two 2015 draft picks, Ryan Mountcastle and D.J. Stewart, combined for eight of Delmarva’s 17 hits. Mountcastle went 4-for-6 with a double, homer, three runs and an RBI. The homer was his second of the year and his first came on opening day. Mountcastle hit .162 in April and is batting .341 since then.

Stewart went 4-for-7 with a double and two RBIs. Over his last 11 games, he is batting .357 (15-for-42) with two homers and seven RBIs. This run has raised his season average from .190 to .232.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/06/duquette-on-the-draft-os-notes-and-a-big-night-for-a-delmarva-duo.html

Great to hear about Mountcastle, but Stewart will have to keep that up a lot longer to impress me.

Remind me. Mountcastle is a bat first player, correct? Arm is suspect to play SS?

Sounds like you need more reminding than that, Jr. He's 3 and a fraction years younger than Stewart and has hit a lot better than Stewart has.

And if he can end up at 2B - which has been mentioned as a possibility, he's probably also got more defensive value than Stewart.

He was my favorite prospect in last years draft.

Since May 1, he has 38 hits and has hits in 30 of his 38 games.

14 hits in his last 6 games including 4 doubles and 2 homers. .930 OPS in May, .964 OPS in June, so far. Yeah, I think he's a LOT better prospect than Stewart and 3 and a fraction years younger.

14 hits in his last 6 games including 4 doubles and 2 homers. .930 OPS in May, .964 OPS in June, so far. Yeah, I think he's a LOT better prospect than Stewart and 3 and a fraction years younger.

That is a big reason why he is the better prospect.

Age is hugely important.

The standard player development cliche is power develops last. Well, after hitting a home run in his first game, he looked awful for the first month.

After mostly raking singles in June to get his stroke back, he has 6 XBH in his last 11 games. As long as the K's don't skyrocket, that's some great progress.

Archived