Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before he came to the Orioles, I had a pretty stereotyped impression of Mark Trumbo: big power, lots of strikeouts, pull hitter, kind of lumbering, poor outfielder, serviceable 1B.

My impression after six game is a bit different. I've been pretty impressed with the fact that Trumbo does not try to hit every ball out of the ballpark and pull everything to LF. To the contrary, he has a relatively controlled swing and hits the ball where it's pitched. Yes, his swing seems a bit stiff and he's trying to do some damage, but overall he seems like he can adjust to what is being thrown and go the other way or up the middle when it's called for.

Trumbo also runs the bases better than I expected. He looked good stealing a base on Opening Day, and has gone first to third on a single and scored from first on a double already in the young season, showing pretty decent speed and instincts.

Overall, he looks like a good addition to our offense.

I don't know about his defense yet. He was charged with an error yesterday, misplayed a ball off the wall at OPACY on Sunday (turning a single into a double, according to the radio account) and on Opening Day kind of gave up on a fly ball that hit pretty low off the fence in RCF that I thought he might have caught if he pursued it aggressively (though opinions on that were mixed). Overall, I've seen worse, but I think he's about as advertised out there.

Still, all things considered, I'm happy with Trumbo so far, and think he is a somewhat better rounded player than I'd realized.

52 games in, my observations about Trumbo after 6 games still seem valid. I still like him as a hitter, for the reasons I identified above. He did have a cold stretch recently, but never looked as lost as, say, Chris Davis tends to look when he's slumping. Defensively, I have noted that he gets very tentative whenever he is near a wall or fence, as though he once had a bad collision he doesn't care to repeat. He's a bit tentative on his routes, especially on balls hit over his head. But I feel he has gotten a little better at OPACY as he has become more familiar with his surroundings, and certainly he has shown a strong and accurate arm. Overall, this was a terrific one-year acquisition by DD.

The Orioles have to sign this guy to a three or four year deal asap. He is an absolute beast. He is built for Camden Yards and is the perfect fit for the Orioles. Would he accept a three year deal at 50 million or is that to low? You know some team will offer him crazy money if he hits free agency. Pay the man Dan!

The Orioles have to sign this guy to a three or four year deal asap. He is an absolute beast. He is built for Camden Yards and is the perfect fit for the Orioles. Would he accept a three year deal at 50 million or is that to low? You know some team will offer him crazy money if he hits free agency. Pay the man Dan!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/trumbma01.shtml

Agents: Wasserman Media Group

If we didn't pay Nelson Cruz 3/$50m, why would DD reverse course and do that for Trumbo?

Nelson Cruz was finishing his age 33 Season while Mark Trumbo is finishing his age 30 season. Those three years makes a LOT of difference on a three/four year deal.

Archived