Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

o

(vs. YANKEES, 6/04)

With the Orioles trailing by a score of 7-0, Trumbo made an excellent defensive play to end the top of the 6th inning.

In the bottom of the 7th inning, he hit a solo home run to finally get the Orioles on the board.

He plays out the entire 9 innings of a game, regardless of the scoreboard.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

(vs. YANKEES, 6/04)

With the Orioles trailing by a score of 7-0, Trumbo made an excellent defensive play to end the top of the 6th inning.

In the bottom of the 7th inning, he hit a solo home run to finally get the Orioles on the board.

He plays out the entire 9 innings of a game, regardless of the scoreboard.

I'm gonna be sad when he leaves. Reminds me so much of the Cruz situation. But Trumbo will probably get paid even more than Cruz did.

o

(vs. ROYALS, 6/06)

With the Orioles trailing by a score of 1-0 in the 7th inning, Trumbo tied the game with a solo home run.

The Orioles desperately needed that, as they had been previously been handcuffed by Danny Duffy all night.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/all-your-base-are-belong-to-mark-trumbo/

What Statcast has shown us is that Trumbo does belong with the elites in terms of contact quality. It’s been kind of quiet, perhaps, but last year, Trumbo ranked in the top two percent of baseball players in average batted-ball speed. This year, he’s again in the top two percent. Average batted-ball speed isn’t a perfect measure, by any means, but it also doesn’t tell lies. Trumbo, on average, has hit the ball 94 or 95 miles per hour. That’s also true of, say, Miguel Sano. Only Giancarlo Stanton appears to be meaningfully ahead of Trumbo, and he’s meaningfully ahead of everyone. Otherwise, Trumbo’s right there. He really and truly kills the ball.
Last year, Trumbo ranked in the 66th percentile in average launch angle. Not terrible, but, room for improvement. This year, Trumbo ranks in the 91st percentile in average launch angle. His average batted ball has been five degrees more elevated. Once more, it’s not a perfect measure, but it shows that Trumbo is wasting less of his time on potential singles. He’s directing that elite power more into the air.

Trumbo has far exceeded my expectations! Nice move Dan. Hope he can keep it up through the grind of the summer.

I think that with all the protection and power that we have around him in the lineup that it really is helping him just relax and not try to be "the guy".

Trumbo has far exceeded my expectations! Nice move Dan. Hope he can keep it up through the grind of the summer.

I think that with all the protection and power that we have around him in the lineup that it really is helping him just relax and not try to be "the guy".

Not mine. I expected him to hit 30. Once he hits more he exceeds mine.

I expected him to hit 30 as well, but I did not expect a .972 OPS in mid June. His defense is pretty much what I expected, but he has DH'ed some more lately it seems (haven't looked it up yet to verify though).

Did you think he'd have 20 after 57 games? I certainly didn't. The earliest he ever hit 20 homers was in 2012, when he did it on July 1.

Did you think he'd have 20 after 57 games? I certainly didn't. The earliest he ever hit 20 homers was in 2012, when he did it on July 1.
No but he has a history of cooling off the second half. Pretty sure he'll hit 30, not so sure he hits 40. Wait til the ASB and see where he is then.

Well he's been better than any of us thought, he's leading the league in homers. I wonder how many other guys see what Cruz and Trumbo have done in this lineup and this park and say let me take that one year deal so I can make a boat load of cash. Trumbo is going to get paid.

Archived