Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

He's basically Chris Carter, and I don't think anyone will be clamoring for the O's to sign Carter to a long term deal this offseason.

I'm positive there will be people doing that for Trumbo.

Let's not forget why he was signed in the first place. I think he did OK for basically being an insurance policy. No need to bring him back on Manny's money. :rolleyes:

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In real time, I'll take the two wins he gave us this week. Without them, we'd be struggling to catch up to Toronto in the Wild Card. I get what you're saying in the sterile, clinical statistical world. But like Frobby said, if we reach the postseason, he'll be one of the reasons why.

I agree, players who are close to league average have value and do contribute.

And yet, that's exactly the kind of thing Duquette would do... QO Trumbo, let him leave and replace him with a cheaper Carter next year.

And hopefully he can be had on a similar deal as he got this year, and actually DH. I'd take Carter for ~1/3 instead of Trumbo for the numbers I've seen thrown about.

o

(vs. RED SOX, September 14)

NUMBER 42

o

MARK DANIEL TRUMBO

MARK DANIEL TRUMBO

MARK DANIEL TRUMBO

MARK DANIEL TRUMBO

MARK DANIEL TRUMBO

MARK DANIEL TRUMBO

MARK DANIEL TRUMBO

o

Game-winner.

o

#43 was another game-winner ...... in a one-run, low-scoring game.

o

#44 was another game-winner....... and yet again, in a one-run, low-scoring game.

o

#44 was another game-winner....... and yet again, in a one-run, low-scoring game.

Classic Trumbo game. Drops the ball on a play that Bourn probably makes to hand the D-backs their second run, but makes up for it with the solo HR in the 12th. If only the roster were set up with Trumbo at DH he would probably be a 2.5 WAR player.

Classic Trumbo game. Drops the ball on a play that Bourn probably makes to hand the D-backs their second run, but makes up for it with the solo HR in the 12th. If only the roster were set up with Trumbo at DH he would probably be a 2.5 WAR player.

I don't think so. It's tough to be a 2.5 win player as a DH. Victor Martinez is a better hitter than Trumbo (121 wRC+ to 117) and he's worth 1 win while only playing 5 games on defense. Beltran has gotten into 66 games defensively with a 125 wRC+ and is worth 2.2 wins. Even if Trumbo were slated to be the full time DH, I would expect Buck Showalter to put him in the field at least 40 times.

The only primary DHs surpassing 2.5 wins are Ortiz, Encarnacion, Santana, and Cruz. All of them are much better hitters than Trumbo.

I don't think so. It's tough to be a 2.5 win player as a DH. Victor Martinez is a better hitter than Trumbo (121 wRC+ to 117) and he's worth 1 win while only playing 5 games on defense. Beltran has gotten into 66 games defensively with a 125 wRC+ and is worth 2.2 wins. Even if Trumbo were slated to be the full time DH, I would expect Buck Showalter to put him in the field at least 40 times.

The only primary DHs surpassing 2.5 wins are Ortiz, Encarnacion, Santana, and Cruz. All of them are much better hitters than Trumbo.

Trumbo is at 1.5 WAR overall, I don't think it's a stretch to think his defense accounts for 1 WAR. Those guys are all better than Trumbo but I would slot him pretty close after. Anyway, the point being his defense stinks but he hits a lot of HR and we saw both in that game.

Trumbo is at 1.5 WAR overall, I don't think it's a stretch to think his defense accounts for 1 WAR. Those guys are all better than Trumbo but I would slot him pretty close after. Anyway, the point being his defense stinks but he hits a lot of HR and we saw both in that game.

He also hit a double with a runner on 1st and one out, but of course, we couldn't cash it in.

Trumbo is at 1.5 WAR overall, I don't think it's a stretch to think his defense accounts for 1 WAR. Those guys are all better than Trumbo. but I would slot him pretty close after. Anyway, the point being is that his defense stinks, but he hits a lot of HR's ........ and we saw both in that game.

He also hit a double with a runner on 1st and one out, but of course, we couldn't cash it in.

o

Somewhat similar to Trey Mancini in the game against the Red Sox.

In addition to hitting a 3-run home run to tie the game, he also hit a lead-off double in his next plate appearance ......... but the Orioles could not cash it in.

Archived