For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

weams

Just now, bird watcher said:

The HP Umpire has other responsibilities besides just balls and strikes. Also, If the technology fails during a game for some reason then the Ump would make the calls as he does now.  The tech becomes a tool that the ump uses instead of a replacement. 

I see zero downside aside from set up and maintenance cost for the tech. 

I guess one downside would be the threat of hacking the tech to give one team an unfair advantage but I would think with the tv monitoring the strike zone this would stand out like a sore thumb. 

1 hour ago, bird watcher said:

The HP Umpire has other responsibilities besides just balls and strikes. Also, If the technology fails during a game for some reason then the Ump would make the calls as he does now.  The tech becomes a tool that the ump uses instead of a replacement. 

I see zero downside aside from set up and maintenance cost for the tech. 

The downside is you're still paying the umpire the same salary (because of the union) and now you also have pay for all the technology. 

If the pitch trackers on TV are accurate then an ump could have an earpiece that buzzes when there is a 'looking' strike.  The umpire is still responsible for swinging strikes, tipped foul balls, out at the plate, etc. (everything that are responsible for now except looking strikes.  What always bother me about umpires setting/interpreting the strike zone is illustrated by how annoyed I used to get watching Ricky Henderson bat.  He was 5'10'' but  his crouch gave him a strike zone that was comparable to Eddie Gaedel and he benefited from a lot of undeserved walks.  If the strike zone size were set based on the batter's height, which would be easy to do electronically than with the human eye, then it level the playing field.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Build a trap door under the batter’s box, and if the electronic monitor determines that a pitch was strike three, have it instantaneously open and drop the batter into the abyss.   That’s far more entertaining than watching an umpire cry “strike three!”

This may be the only way for the Orioles to get out from under Chris Davis' contract, so I'm all for it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Build a trap door under the batter’s box, and if the electronic monitor determines that a pitch was strike three, have it instantaneously open and drop the batter into the abyss.   That’s far more entertaining than watching an umpire cry “strike three!”

Excuse me...sir?  We have a couple of threads going already... about creative ways to deal with Chris Davis.  Um, if you aren't really doing anything.  Maybe you could stop in there and you know...see what's going on.

Umpires zones need to go and you can't even even let them have a token job like announcing balls and strikes with a mic in their ear be cause they will mess it up and they'll do it on purpose to make the new system look bad. There have already been umps who have said as much off the record. 

• 1 year later...

o

Previous to the call in question (the 3-2 punch-out of Victor Robles), Ryan Zimmerman had a 3-2 pitch that was probably a strike that was called a ball, and he drew a walk (instead of ending the inning) ........ so one could argue that the inning should have been over in the first place before the very bad call to Robles.

Either way, the whole electronic umpire debate is (if nothing else) interesting.

How One Blown Strike Call in Game 5 Illustrates MLB's need for Robot Umps

(By Jeff Passan)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27947161/how-one-blown-strike-call-game-5-illustrates-mlb-need-robot-umps

o

3 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Previous to the call in question (the 3-2 punch-out of Victor Robles), Ryan Zimmerman had a 3-2 pitch that was probably a strike that was called a ball, and he drew a walk (instead of ending the inning) ........ so one could argue that the inning should have been over in the first place before the very bad call to Robles.

Either way, the whole electronic umpire debate is (if nothing else) interesting.

How One Blown Strike Call in Game 5 Illustrates MLB's need for Robot Umps

(By Jeff Passan)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27947161/how-one-blown-strike-call-game-5-illustrates-mlb-need-robot-umps

o

19-3 over the weekend. A Maddux pitch or two did not do that.